Thursday, April 1, 2021

Gems from Job

 Do you think human beings are selfish by nature? 

As I continue to read through the book of Job, I'm thinking of that person who always makes it all about herself or himself.  You know that person?  They are the ones who, no matter what you're talking about, they've also gone through that, experienced that, done that, been there.  But, they are also those who get offended when life doesn't revolve around them.  They try to stir the conversation or turn the spotlight back to themselves, when in reality, none of what's happening has anything to do with them.  

Like kids, for instance, they are masters at making it all about them.  In our house, Dylan is mostly that person.  I don't know how many times we have to remind him of the fact that not everything pertains him...Dan always jokes about how Dylan is going to be the kind of husband that tells his wife, while in labor, that now she knows how he feels like when he has indigestion.  

I see this in Job chapter 18 when his other "friend," Bildad speaks.  I mean, Job has just spilled out his guts in chapter 17.  He shows in words how crushed he feels.  It breaks my heart reading him say things like:  My spirit is broken, my days are cut short, the grave awaits me. (Job 17: 1)  The man needs support.  He needs comfort.  He needs the quiet embrace of loving arms.  What does Bilbo Bildad do? He gets offended and makes it about himself:  

“When will you end these speeches?
Be sensible, and then we can talk.
Why are we regarded as cattle
and considered stupid in your sight? 
Job 18: 2-3

I mean, really?  How selfish are these words?  Job is opening up the raw emotions of his heart and soul.  He is completely exposed and 100% vulnerable here.  The last thing he needs is a "friend" to yell at him for expressing his inner most pain.  I don't know about you, but if I don't talk about it, I die.  Job is screaming out for compassion and love.  And Bilbo here only cares about "his precious" ego.  His pride has been hurt because Job has spoken emotional words that have not regarded the friends' high and mighty empty pieties...so now, they are offended.  And they had turned it around so the world knows that they are the ones who have been wronged by this miserable and insensible man.  They would not have it.  They could not let it go.  Letting go would mean they agree with Job...and they cannot, because agreeing with Job would mean they are, indeed, stupid cattle.

What a blessing it is for a person who is in the deepest and darkest corners of the pit to find a sympathetic soul who is willing to sit right there, in the same damp, cold, dark and scary place with them...a person that for a moment, allows us to voice the most profound hurts we carry in our hearts without judgment or reproach.  A person who does not make it about herself or himself, but who instead, knows very well, that this moment is about the hurting...and the hurting is not them.

Fortunately for us, we do have that friend.  Because of our selfish nature, humans will let other humans down.  But it doesn't matter, because we always have Jesus.  And what a friend we have in Him!  He knows what it is like to be led down by your closest of friends.  He knows what it is like to sweat blood and cry bitter tears in the loneliest of spots.  And He will never abandon us.  He will let us vent our hurts with the harshest of words without getting offended.  He can take it all. He already has.  And He did it for love.  

Today, as we approach the commemoration of Jesus' agony in the Garden of Gethsemane, I want to remember this truth:  He stretched out His arms on the cross so I would never, ever have to be alone.  And I pray, that in my selfishness, I can offer a level of comfort to those in need without making it about me.  In the Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ, who gave it all for you and me.  Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.