Wednesday, April 14, 2021

I´m Not the Judge

“If I have denied justice to any of my servants, 
 whether male or female,
when they had a grievance against me,
what will I do when God confronts me?
What will I answer when called to account?
Did not he who made me in the womb make them?
Did not the same one form us both within our mothers? Job 31: 13-15

Have you ever disliked someone so much that you forget they, too, were made by God in His image?  I do.  The last thing I think of when in the midst of my ranting against those that I'm not particularly fond of is that they too have the divine spark that ignited my own life.  Job here in chapter 31 verses 13-15 has, yet again, brought up a point that convicts me.  He has reminded me that I will face the Throne of God one day.  He has reminded me that in that moment, I will have to answer when called to account.  He has reminded me that I will be at a loss when confronted about the times I denied justice to anyone while in a position of power.

But...what if I don't feel like I have denied justice?  Why if they just got what they deserved?  Do I have to answer for their wrongs too?  Don't they have to face the consequences of their actions also?

I guess the answer to all these questions is yes.  The problem is...what I have to truly search my soul for... is my own attitude and my own actions, not theirs.  What I have to realize is:  I am not their judge.  It is not up to me to "give them what they deserve."  It is not I who determines what their consequences are for their actions.  And that is where I fail time and time again:  I usurp God's job by pretending I am the one seated on the throne.

I'm not saying that we are to live our lives ignoring evil, normalizing sin, and compromising the truth.  Absolutely not.  We must live with our eyes open, knowing that the world loves darkness, but that we are children of the Light, and as such, it is our responsibility to not hide it, but to lift it up so it can shine brightly.  The key is: how do we do that?  What does God want from us Christians?  How does He want us to act around those who do not know the truth?

Micah and Paul gave us some clues to this:

And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6: 8b


Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. Philippians 2: 3-4

The road to fulfilling what God requires of us is not easy, especially for people like me...people who like to take the role of judge.  I must confess that it is extremely hard for me to be selfless enough to be humble enough to value others above myself.  I have a very hard time putting aside my own interests in favor of the interests of others.  That's why this is so convicting to me.

But, the intention here is not to be paralyzed with guilt.  God allows that feeling of conviction so we realize the error in our ways, and pray for a change.  He makes all things new, even me.  He loves me, and He knows me.  He knows what's in my heart better than I do myself.  And He loves me anyway.  Therefore, my job is to turn my eyes upon Him and pray for guidance so I can begin to walk humbly with Him the rest of the way.  In the Precious Name of Jesus, My Redeemer and My Hope for a better me.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.