Wednesday, April 28, 2021

God's Hedge of Protection

After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes and gave him twice as much as he had before. Job 42: 10

As I finish reading the book of Job, I have to say...it was a rewarding experience.  I have always been hesitant about reading it, but I'm glad I did.  It was a bit frustrating, I have to admit...but...I was able to find precious gems that allowed me to appreciate it more than I thought I would.  Of course, the most stunningly beautiful of those jewels is discovered at the end, when we see how God restores Job by reinstating His blessings upon him two-fold.

To me, however, the greatest blessing is not that God gave Job twice as much as he had before.  The most important and most vital thing that Job got back was God's presence.  

We see how in the beginning of the book, Satan asks God to remove His hedge of protection from Job, and God agrees to have Job sifted like flower.  

I believe God places this hedge of protection around every believer.  And it is called, The Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is the Power in us who is Greater than the power of the one who is in the world, and it is through The Power of Him who is in us that we overcome.  (1 John 4)  Those who do not have the Holy Spirit in them belong to the world and do not know God...and cannot listen to His voice.  The result:  decay, destruction and loss.  

It is like Jesus said in John 10: 10,  The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

When the hedge of protection, God's presence, was removed from Job's life, the thief came in to steal and kill and destroy.  But, as soon as God's presence returned, the abundant life was possible again.  The gift is not the things that we get from God.  The gift and the miracle and the greatest blessing is Christ in us in the Person of the Holy Spirit.

The life lived seeking Him is a life well lived, whether it is full of years or a vapor in the wind.  May we be ever mindful of the Holy Host we have dwelling in our souls.  May our hearts be soft and malleable to receive His guidance and listen to His counsel while we walk on these shores.  In the Precious Name of Jesus, The One Who Overcomes.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.