Friday, April 23, 2021

The Art of Listening

 "God gave us 1 mouth and 2 ears for a reason," Dan always tells Dylan every time his 15 year-old tongue gets away from him...which happens more than I would ever care to contemplate...sigh...the thing is, Dylan is not the only one.  I am guilty of the same ailment:  NOT LISTENING.  

I talk too much.  I don't mean that I'm talkative.  I am not.  Socially, I am quite reserved and rather quiet and contemplative in nature (at least, I'd like to think so).  But in my head...it is a different story.  Inside of me there lives a person filled with aggression.  My mind is filled with words.  My thoughts are very loud in my brain, and it feels as if I just keep producing them non-stop.  They are bumper to bumper, pushing each other like city highway traffic during rush hour.  It was worst when I was younger.  I have to admit that old age has slowed me down a bit.  But still...when something is worrying me (which, let's be honest, everything worries me) my brain goes on overdrive.  My mind gets so jammed packed with rushing thoughts, that there is no room for much else but for the worry that consumes me.  And, worst of all, I become deaf to everything else.  I stop listening.

My devotional reading yesterday was a good reminder of the need to listen...the need to listen to the whispering of the Holy Spirit:

"Listen to Me continually.  I have much to communicate to you, so many people and situations in need of prayer.  I am training you to set your mind on Me more and more, tuning out distractions through the help of My Spirit.  Walk with Me in holy trust, responding to My initiatives rather than trying to make things fit your plans.  I died to set you free, and that includes freedom from compulsive planning.  when your mind spins with a multitude of thoughts, you cannot hear My voice.  A mind preoccupied with planning pays homage to the idol of control.  Turn from this idolatry back to Me.  Listen to Me and live abundantly." (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young)

I need to remember to stop worshiping the idol of control.  Compulsive planning and the multitude of thoughts in my mind keep me from hearing His voice...keep me from living abundantly...I pray that the Holy Spirit helps me be more selective with my thoughts.  I pray He enables me to quiet them down long enough so I can listen.  I pray I am moved to Scripture, as every word read from the Bible is a love note for us...His children.  I pray I can renew my mind and redeem my thoughts.  I pray I can truly listen to His voice. In the Precious Name of Jesus, the One and Only King of All that I am.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.