Friday, March 10, 2023

Encourage One Another

 I always give up too soon.  I lose confidence too quickly.  I just throw my arms out and quit.  Like this evening, we were playing a board game.  We got it as a gift from good friends for Christmas and had been waiting until the 4 of us were home to play it.  It was actually fun and educational at the same time.  It was kind of a trivia game so it tested our knowledge of ... everything!  

Every time it was my turn to answer a question, though, my first reaction before I even had a chance to really listen to the question, was to say stuff like:  "there's no way I know this." Most of the time, however, thanks to Dan's encouragement, after thinking about it for a moment, I could actually figure out many of them.  If I hadn't had anyone encouraging me to pause and concentrate, I would have ended up with no points on the board.  Left on my own, I'd just do what I always do: quit.

I wonder if that's one of the things Paul had in mind when he wrote 1 Thessalonians 5: 11,

Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.

I tell you, without the help of those along my way, it would be very difficult for someone like me to do life.  Sometimes I wonder, though, if I ever make a difference in anyone's life the way my encouragers do in mine?  Am I allowing my life to be of any benefit to others at all?  My own kids complain about me all the time: "you're too harsh! You have no patience!  You expect too much!"  Those phrases don't sound like thank you notes to me.  Am I forgetting this command to encourage and build one another up?

I like the last part of the sentence, where Paul says:  "just as you are doing..." I'd like to think those words are also meant for me.  That in itself is an encouraging thought: to know that I might be actually doing it already...even if ever so slightly.  To think that my actions are not a complete waste of energy is encouraging. It encourages me to believe I can do it...and to do more every day.  So, I'm going to claim those words too, and use them to propel me to be better at this calling to encourage and build one another up.  It is part of love.  And in this world where there is so much to be distraught about, a little encouragement goes a long way.

I pray, that the Holy Spirit will fill us up with a desire and an ability to lift people up, to bring cheer and to invigorate others.  And at the same time, to remember that this calling usually comes back two-fold.  In the Precious Name of Our Lord.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.