Thursday, March 2, 2023

Our Father

 I know...I know very well, how the word "Father" is not a term that has a good and positive connotation for many, many people.  The sad reality is that, regardless of the area of the world where we might be at, many children grow up either without a Dad or with one who causes tremendous damage.  And that is a consequence of the fallen condition of our world...of our sin...it really doesn't have anything to do with the actual concept of fatherhood.  Being a Father is one of the greatest honors, privileges and gifts God has bestowed upon men.  Parenthood in general, is one of those "jobs" that really, really, teaches the person a lot about the heart of God.  It is a position of the highest responsibility, but it is a true, incomparable blessing too. 

When Jesus says that we ought to call God, Father...Our Father...it is a most wonderful and profound invitation...no matter how horrible our experience with our earthly Father might have been, being able to call God, Our Father is a great comfort in this hard life.

With the first two words of the Lord's Prayer, Jesus opens the door of His family to us, saying, He is your Father too.  He is Our Father.  You too are a child of God too.  You will learn, and experience, and taste, and enjoy, and know the wonders of having a perfect Father now.  You belong.  You are wanted.  You are loved.

I had a good earthly Father, but he was far from perfect.  There are things he did that marked me in not a very positive way.  But I know he loved me and he wanted the best for me.  I have no doubt my Dad did all he could to help me.  His efforts fell short often, but not intentionally.  I loved him dearly and still do.  The very thought of him brings tears to my eyes because I miss him so much, and I would give anything to still have him near.  How much more I should be assured of God's love, that is greater, much greater than my earthly Father's imperfect love, which he could only have, because God first loved him.  How much greater is God's love...for God is Love...pure and perfect Love.  

That's why the privilege is also ours...to be able to call God, the God of All Power and Love, Father...Our Father.  I pray we can have the clarity of the Holy Spirit to assimilate this mystery, in which we, lowly, stubborn, selfish, unfaithful, self-centered creatures, get to call the God of All Creation, Our Father.  Thank you for the blessing, Lord...Thank You for showing us this truth, Jesus.  Amen! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.