Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Love Doesn't Go Away

 I was watching an episode of Little House on the Prairie...I know, I know...with all the trash that's on the media today, this is about the only show we can watch anymore! At any rate, the episode was about the family losing their dog.  Having gone through that recently, the episode stirred tender emotions in me.  I got sad all over again about losing our Link...I just can't believe he is gone...sigh...I identified with the character of Laura Ingalls because she was so heart broken about losing their dog, that she just didn't want to even consider the possibility of having another dog again.  The loss was too hard to bear.  I'm right there.  I think I even said that, "I never, ever want to have another dog, ever!  I don't want to have to go through this again."

But then, another character told Laura to remember that, though she understood the reluctance to open her heart to another dog for fear of experiencing loss in such an intense way again, it was important to remember that "the hurt goes away, but the love doesn't."

That phrase stayed with me.  I don't think I ever thought of this before.  It is so true, I think of all my loved ones that I've lost over the years.  I think of my Mom, gone almost 23 years ago...the pain of losing her cut me so deeply, I thought I've never get over it.  I think of losing a pregnancy.  I was so devastated, I thought I'd never laugh again.  My Dad.  My Father in Law.  My Step Father in Law.  Dear aunts. Even some friends.  Link.  The intensity of the pain that accompanies loss is deep, indeed.  But eventually, the pain does become less acute.  The intensity of the love, however, never gets dull.  We continue to love them no matter how long they've been gone...always...the love never changes.  Love never fails.  It's true!  I love the Amplified version of 1 Corinthians 13: 8a

Love never fails [it never fades nor ends].

I've read this a million times, but today, I think, I'm finally starting to get it.  Love does endure all things...even loss.  I think back at the memories of Link and of all my loved ones who are departed, and the love jumps, and my heart smiles.  Of course, the raw emotions of recent loss would not allow us to think beyond our hurt...but it does get better...and the love remains, just as it was when they were with us.  WOW! What a great mystery love is, isn't it? It really never ends...like the One Who Is Love.

I pray that we can remember this truth when we face the sting of loss, so the knowledge of the enduring promise of endless love may cover our wounds with a thick blanket of comfort.  In the Precious Name of Our Loving Lord.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.