Sunday, March 12, 2023

Reminders

Do you ever "know" things, but you need to be reminded?

We were playing a trivia game the other night called "I Should Have Known That." Men, is that an appropriate name for that game... There were things that I knew, I knew...but then...I couldn't remember enough to produce an answer that was satisfactory.  As soon as I'd hear the correct answer, I'd be like, "I knew that!!!" But of course, it didn't count that I remembered it after the fact.  It's soooo frustrating!

I was reading through the book of Jude in the New Testament.  I don't think I've ever actually read it through and through.  I don't really have an excuse for never reading it.  This short little letter can be read in a couple of minutes...but for some reason, that's one of those books in the Bible that are easily skipped.  At least for me.  At any rate, I read it this morning, and WOW!  It is packed full with important admonitions and information...but for some reason, there was this one half a verse that really spoke to me:

Though you already know all this, I want to remind you...Jude 5a

I don't know how many times I've been in the middle of a "moment" when someone or something would remind me of one of the many promises of God and of the fact that they are true, no matter what.  It usually happens when I'm allowing fear to creep in and pierce my very soul...then, a song would play on the radio, or a passage from Scripture would pop into my mind, or someone would say something in real life or in a show or podcast...and I'd be reminded...though I already knew all of it...but I'd allowed my thoughts to wander off track and I'd forgotten...

So...I just love that half verse from Jude.  Jesus knew and knows we need constant reminding.  He knows how our brains work and how easily we lose focus.  He knows how anything can and does distract us, making us take our eyes from Him and begin to sink.  He knows we know He is Love, and Peace, and Truth, and Light, and The Way and The Life...but he knows that we also are forgetful and that we need to be reminded.  How Merciful is Our Savior!  Our Lord, in all His Glory, tucks away in little, modest books like Jude, tiny phrases that pack an incredible punch, just when we need them.  And unlike in our trivia game, it does count! Even if at first we didn't remember, and we have to be reminded...it counts!  We don't have to always produce the right answer to win.  We have already won...even if we need help.

Even though we should have known it...the Bible is our constant reminder that God is Love...that He is Present...and that He is Able.  May we find evidence of Your Faithfulness all around us, always.  In the Precious Name of Jesus.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.