Friday, March 31, 2023

May Peace Rule Over Our Hearts

15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3: 15

Too often I allow bad things to rule in my heart.  I used to think that I couldn't control it, that the heart had a mind of its own...well...it's not so.  Paul tells us very clearly in Colossians 3: 15 that we are to "let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts."  We let it.  We intentionally open the door of our heart to let Christ's peace enter and take over.  It doesn't happen by magic.  Christ's peace is a gift, a most precious gift (John 14: 27) but we have to receive it.  What good is a gift if we don't take it and open it and use it?  So there is an active role we need to play in the path to peace...we have to let it rule our hearts...we were called to it. 

I love how this verse ends on a seemingly unrelated note:  "And be thankful."  It is not unrelated, though.  Not even a little bit, for we ought to be thankful indeed, for the peace we are given.  The gift of peace is a most precious thing.  What are we without Christ's peace?  I don't know about you, but I would be a shapeless mess.  

I still struggle with the things I let in my heart.  I still struggle with anxious thoughts that threaten to rob me of my gift to which I am called.  But Praise the Lord, it is by His grace that He brings me back to His arms where the river of peace flows and covers me in a current that surpasses my understanding.  Blessed be His Holy Name, for Jesus is Peace and in Him we rest.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.