Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Feeling Superior?

 I have such a hard time remembering names anymore.  I hate to admit it, but after more than half of the semester gone, I still only know the names of maybe 30% of my students.  Back in the day, during my first years as a teacher, I was able to know all my students by name after the first 2 weeks of class...how low I´ve fallen...

This is why I could never be a name-dropper, LOL!  I can't remember any names to drop! :)

At any rate, I'm not sure why I'm thinking about this, but maybe it is because I was listening to my usual morning podcast and the minister was talking about how ridiculous it is for us to think that we are so important. Our inflated ego often betrays us and makes us belief that we can just say something like: "don't you know who I am?" And that at the mere sight of our presence, the waters would part, and mountains would move so we can get through.  The minister challenged us to imagine Jesus doing that: "Don't you know who you're talking to?  I'm the Son of God!  The Second Person of the Trinity...shoo, shoo..."

It was kind of hilarious to even consider that.  But it was also a slap on the face.  I might not drop names, but I have occasionally pulled rank.  There's moments when humility escapes me, and to get things done...or to feel a sense of preponderance of sorts, I've used a version of "don't you know who I am?"...and that is totally shameful.   

Jesus, the Word, the very One to Whom the Winds and the Waves Obey...Our Lord and Our God...did not do any of this.  Instead, He,

Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness. Philippians 2: 6-7

Why would I ever think it is OK for me to do it?  That's what's ridiculous: me feeling superior.  

May the Holy Spirit guide us in our path to humility, and allow us to put God first in everything.  May we extend mercy, grace and compassion in the same measure we have received it from above.  In the Precious Name of Jesus, Our King Who Humbled Himself to Save Us.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.