Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Our Song

 Pastor Dan has been unfolding a sermon series called "This is Your Song," which I believe has been a great blessing for all of us listening.  I have to admit that thinking of God as my Lord, Savior, Father, Guide, Redeemer, even as my Friend does not take much of an effort.  Attributes that emphasize God's Omnipotent Power and Might...Love...Light...Peace...Wisdom and all those are easy to assimilate.  Thinking of God as "My Song," however...is both challenging and fascinating!

Isaiah 12: 2 says:

Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. For the LORD GOD is my strength and my song, and He also has become my salvation."

I will trust and not be afraid because the Lord God is "my strength and my song..." WOW...I mean, like I said earlier, it is not difficult for me to understand and see the the concept of God being my Strength...but how is He "My Song"?  I read a devotional today that spoke a bit about it:


Trust Me and don't be afraid, for I am your Strength and Song. Think what it means to have Me as your Strength. I spoke the universe into existence; My power is absolutely unlimited! Human weakness, consecrated to Me, is like a magnet, drawing My Power into your neediness. However, fear can block the flow of My Strength into you. Instead of trying to fight your fears, concentrate on trusting Me. When you relate to Me in confident trust, there is no limit to how much I can strengthen you.
Remember that I am also your Song. I want you to share My Joy, living in conscious awareness of My Presence. Rejoice as we journey together toward heaven; join Me in singing My Song. (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young)

I love how this short reading reminds me what it means for God to be Our Strength.  It is very clear.  But I REALLY like the part about God being Our Song.  It is not super detailed, but it surely is intriguing as it sheds some light on what this idea means:  joy!  

By using the analogy of God as Our Song He wants us to understand that He is the Giver of all joy.  What is music if not beauty?  Have you ever listened to a song that is so beautiful it just makes you cry?  That is God's Song in us.  He is the Creator of music and it all belongs to Him!  Its purpose is enjoyment so deep that it touches our soul.  That beauty that evokes such profound joy can only come from Him who is Our Song! 

He didn't have to be Our Song.  He could have just been Our Master.  But that's not what He did when He thought of us.  He didn't want to be a Dictator of rules and Keeper of accounts.  He wanted us to have joy in abundance so He became Our Song to bring beauty to make the journey doable and bearable.  And for that we are eternally grateful.

May we always remember this about Our Great God.  Blessed be His Holy Name, Our Lord and Our Song.  Amen!





No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.