Friday, July 20, 2012

Lord, Have Mercy On Us...


There is nothing more disorienting and troubling than waking up to tragedy. I hadn’t opened my eyes yet when I heard my husband Dan’s voice as if coming from a tunnel, “there was a mass shooting at a Batman show last night in Colorado,” he said. Of course I was able to make out his words only after he repeated them about 3 times for I was still two-thirds asleep.

“Dear Lord,” I half uttered, “…have mercy on us…” My head fell heavy back on the pillow after Dan left the room, and my thoughts immediately went to my nephews who were planning to attend the midnight showing last night. “Lord, have mercy…” I kept repeating over and over again in my head…

I could spend time trying to figure out the reasons that motivated this 24-year-old man to break an entry into that dark theater and open fire randomly on the innocent spectators who sat in their chairs, armed with popcorn, candy and drinks, hoping to enjoy a thrill that they never expected would hunt them, perhaps for the rest of their lives, and some to their graves last night. The exercise, however, would be futile for some things are never understood. So I won’t do that here, today. I am sure there will be plenty of people speculating and coming up with theories which won’t really explain anything in the end for who knows what’s hidden in the corners of a hardened heart, but the Lord Himself? I’d leave the theories to the “experts.”


Instead, I will rather plug into the source of power which never goes out and is always there to recharge our spirit and calm our storms. I turn to Him, who is forever seated on His throne regardless of what may be happening down here on this dark world. I turn my eyes from the screen and into Him, for I “know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Romans 8: 28)

There will always be senseless violence and innocent people will fall victims of actions driven by evil. But we are not to lose heart. He has overcome the world and so will we.

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. (Psalm 46: 1)


Though I’m afraid, I do not let fear overpower me, for

The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27: 1)


Though I’m shaken, I am not destroyed. Though I have paused, I will not be paralyzed. I will look at my Heavenly Father and I will resume my walk because He promised:

“…do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41: 10)

I don’t lose hope,

The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.
Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
Fear the LORD, you his saints,
for those who fear him lack nothing. 

(Psalm 34: 7-9)

Join me in praying for the people of Aurora, CO today. Let’s lift them up to our Merciful God that He may receive the victims in His loving arms and that He may comfort the survivors, the families and the people of this nation.

Lord, have mercy on us…Come, Lord Jesus, come…

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.