Monday, June 3, 2013

Patience = Waiting

The fruit of the Spirit concerning us today is Patience. I anticipate this meditation to be very short since I am the world’s least patient person…Oh the irony of it all!

Well, since I do not know the first thing about being patient, I approached this topic very carefully : ) In case you didn’t get it…that was a sarcastic remark : ) I don’t have patience to take anything “very carefully”! I do things, most things, on the fly. The rest, I do on impulse. I have no problem making decisions or changing my mind. I am too impatient to stick to a decision that is not yielding results quickly enough, so I go ahead and make a new one! If something I start doing is not working out the way I want it to, I change it and start a new thing. I guess I could say I have “Teflon perseverance.” Patience, however, requires stainless steel.

Patience is the result of learning how to wait. And the only way to wait is to wait in the Lord. Like Psalm 27: 14 tells us, “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Waiting requires a level of strength that will give us the endurance we need in order to stay put and see God’s plan unfold. Waiting requires the ability to stick when we need to and let loose when it’s time. Waiting also requires us accepting that God’s timing is NOT usually our timing, nor His ways are ours (Isaiah 55: 8-9). Therefore, for the fruit of patience to grow in our Spirit we need to have the ability to stick and wait while at the same time we need to let go and accept that He is the one in control, not us. 


We do our part and leave the rest to Him, like a high quality stainless steel skillet where you can make the yummiest, stickiest and most consistent of dishes but when it’s time to clean up, the gunk comes off with a swift swipe of a sponge...and without the toxic residue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.