Sunday, June 2, 2013

Peace = Trust

Today I feel called to talk about the next fruit of the Spirit, peace...big SIGH...

Once again we are confronted with another challenging concept. Discerning peace from a Biblical perspective takes a great deal of time and fine tuning into the Holy Spirit's divine wavelength. How do we achieve such fine tuning? We tune into the Holy Spirit's station by communication through prayer. Paul tells us in Philippians 4: 6-7:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

As we communicate with God in prayer we present all the anxiety-producing situations we are currently dealing with and surrender them to Him. The implication of such transference is that we trust He is able and willing to take care of it all. As we trust in His loving nature toward us, we experience that peace which transcends human understanding. 

The element of trust, therefore, is the crucial aspect in this transaction. Anxiety becomes stubborn when our trust is weak. As trust develops in our heart, the fruit of peace begins to grow. The only way for trust to unfold and become stronger, however, is to experience situations that require us to trust in Him. If nothing ever happens to us, we would never really and truly figure out what trusting in the Lord is. If we have everything under control in our lives, and we can solve every problem on our own, how would we ever know what having nothing else but Him really means?

I did not grow up singing hymns. There are, however, a few which I absolutely love. Today at church we sang my favorite, It Is Well with My Soul, by Horatio Spafford. The lyrics are a testimony of trust, the kind of trust that is certain to help peace grow in leaps and bounds. If you have a minute, read the words slowly and carefully, internalizing each statement...and allow that peace that surpasses all understanding to cover you with every inspired word.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.