Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Not What I Deserve...



Sometimes I catch myself consumed by the way of thinking that produces statements like: “I work hard, so I deserve to get that overpriced patio furniture,” or “I’m a good person, I obey the law, I respect others, so I deserve to get a break in life.” The one that troubles me the most, however, is: “I am a child of God and I serve Him and His people faithfully; therefore, I deserve to cruise through life without running into any misfortune.” 

I begin to get caught up in this web of misguided thoughts when I forget that by the grace of God I don’t get what I really deserve! 

The Bible tells us how nobody meets the standard of righteousness:

…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God… Romans 3: 23 



Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins. Ecclesiastes 7: 20 
On our own, we can never become who we need to be in order to be justified. Salvation is only possible thanks to the redeeming power of Christ. Regardless of how good we think we are, we are never good enough to save ourselves. No amount of good deeds we accumulate could ever buy us heaven. It is only by the precious blood of Jesus that we are cleansed. It is by Jesus’ righteousness that we are admitted into the presence of the Most High. 

Jesus did come to give us life and life in abundance; but it is a gift. Therefore, the sense of entitlement must be eradicated and replaced by a deep sense of humility and gratitude. This realization is what moves us to humbly thank Him for we don’t get what we really deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.