Monday, November 3, 2014

Special Day

Last birthday I celebrated with my Dad in Panama.

Today is a very special day in Panama, my country of birth. Today the entire nation celebrates Independence Day. I remember as a kid, I used to love November. It was always so festive and so full of national fervor, let alone the days off! The school year, in Panama, ends early in December, so once it hit November, we considered it almost all done.

November 3rd was always doubly special in my home because it was my Dad’s birthday.

I don’t really know how things work on that other shore of eternity; however, I’d like to imagine that today my Dad is enjoying the day hanging out with my Mom. Perhaps, today isn’t a special day for him anymore. Perhaps, every day is special now. For my Dad, maybe November 3rd has no real significance anymore. The luster is probably all gone and replaced by the inexpressible and incomparable brightness and delight of being in the presence of Christ. The concept of time might not even be anything we would concern ourselves with in Heaven. For me, however, who are still voyaging in the choppy waters of this life, the day brings back the sadness and emptiness of my loss.

Praise the Lord I am not alone in this journey. Besides Jesus, Himself, God has graciously given me faithful travelling companions to hang on to. And for that I am infinitively grateful. It is, however, still hard to look back and remember those who are no longer with us…especially those who played such a crucial role in our lives…But hope remains! And I cling to it…I cling to the source of all my hope…of all my peace…

"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. "In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. "If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.…
 John 14: 1-3

I cling to this promise with all I’ve got!

And as I have also lost my childhood house, I am sure glad that Jesus is preparing a new place for me there...a place that no one would be able to take away…a place where I can fellowship with my parents again…a place that I could, forever, call home.

For now, all I have to say is: Happy Independence Day, Panama…and Happy Birthday, Papa…




But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 1 Thessalonians 4: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.