Thursday, November 20, 2014

Lord, Deliver Me!



As it happens, every day there is something new to worry about…just like Jesus said in Matthew 6: 34:

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

He sure knew what He was talking about.

Every single day comes with its own set of events and circumstances that cause us to become anxious, stressed out, worried. The trick is not to let those events and circumstances paralyze us with fear. In my case, I find it very easy to slip into the proverbial slippery slope once I’m faced with a new situation that scares me. I feel the chills rising rapidly up my spine. My pulse accelerates while at the same time my heart seems to stop (not sure how that happens, but that’s how I feel). I am weak and too attached to this world. Therefore, I panic at the first sign of something wrong.

I cannot allow myself to do this to myself any more. It distances me from Christ. It creates a barrier where there should be trust. It digs a hole where there should be a bridge. It swallows me in despair when I should have hope.

Jesus reminds us, as an antidote to this overwhelming fear, to trust in His provision and in His love, and to concentrate on seeking Him! He’ll take care of all the rest…and in turn, He will give us rest…I don’t want to be a “ye of little faith” (Matthew 6: 30). I want to have the kind of faith that trumps fear and causes mountains to jump into the oceans! I don’t want to be all-shook-up at the slightest thing that doesn’t go according to plan. I don’t want to be too attached to this world.

I want to seek Him and find Him. He promised! So I want to cling to His Word, which is flawless. I want to experience what David experienced when He wrote:

I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34: 4

I pray today to my God, that no matter what the day may bring, please,

Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord; may your love and faithfulness always protect me. Psalm 40: 11


1 comment:

  1. I love this! That reassurance that is always there for the taking!

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.