Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Advent Adventure




Advent has just begun. I have to admit that, even though I knew that Advent was the time before Christmas meant as preparation for the coming of Baby Jesus, this was not something that was emphasized during my growing up years. For some reason, my family did not pay much attention to this time so I missed out on the richness of the season. It wasn’t until I moved to the United States that I realized the value of these weeks in helping me focus on the reason we celebrate.

Over the years I’ve been trying to be more intentional during Advent. I’ve tried to make it more personal. I’ve concentrated on making it into an intimate conversation between me and Our Lord to ground me on the miracle of His first coming and the wonders of His love. This year, I want to continue doing that, but I’ve decided to use Advent to turn my eyes toward the promise of His second coming…turn my eyes into eternity and into the reality that this is not our permanent home. I would like to explore that His first advent points to the fact that He will come back again, to take us with Him into our eternal dwelling:

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.” John 14: 1-4

I’d like to explore Christ’s second coming this Advent through Scripture and perhaps even through some of my most beloved Christmas Carols. I think the writers of these songs knew that while they sung praises to the Babe in the Manger, it was imperative to point to the Lion of Judah who is to come back one of these days. I guess it is going to be a journey of discovery, an Advent Adventure…so would you embark on it with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.