Monday, November 28, 2016

Giving Thanks



In a blink, Thanksgiving has come and gone again. It is one of my favorite holidays, but too often it just seems to go unnoticed. We’re not done breathing in the warmth and delicious aromas of spices, turkey, trimmings and pies, when the whirlwind of road trips, family gatherings, black Friday, and blue weekends spins us around…then, still dizzy, Cyber Monday finds us tangled up in twinkling lights. We haven’t yet exhaled, and the only reminder of Thanksgiving is a pile of dirty casserole dishes in the kitchen sink.

I don’t want to flip the page of Thanksgiving Day without taking time to intentionally pause, even if for a moment…and truly give Thanks. Like I read in my devotional, I want to allow an attitude of thankfulness to rule in my heart (Sarah Young’s Jesus Calling). I want to cultivate a constant state of thanksgiving in my mind and soul so the peace of Christ would cover me from head to toe…and as I dive into the waters of His presence, I want to be cleansed of all that ties me to the worldly ways…like scales falling from my eyes, I want to be able to see the abundance of His promises.


May the holiday mean more than turkey and casseroles. May we take the chance to truly say, thank you. Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to express gratitude…even if in a rather imperfect manner…for every time I take a moment to give thanks, I know I move a step closer to You as I walk on this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.