Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Happiness is a Pumpkin Spice Non-Fat Latte



It was only 5:30 p.m. but it felt like 48 hours had been jammed all together into one day. I was not looking forward to the 45-minute car-ride I had ahead, but I knew the meeting I was going to would turn out to be splendid. I was headed to our last night of Bible study and I knew God had wonderful things in store for us, but I couldn’t help it…I was very tired…

Suddenly, as the golden arches popped up in the nearby horizon, a thought came to me: “It’s fall…yeah…the all-pumpkin-spice-stuff-everywhere-season! …Maybe I should get me one of them latte’s?” I’m not a coffee drinker, but I enjoy the occasional cup of the infamous, hot beverage once in a holiday moon (as long as it is heavy on the flavored, sugary cream, of course).

Anyway, I rolled into the parking lot, walked out of the car (needed the fresh air to stay awake), ordered me a Grande cup to go, got back in the car, took a sip (still wondering and hoping that it would be sweet enough since I didn’t dare asking for any sugar packets) and immediately, as soon as I felt the warm, creamy elixir touch my taste buds, I figured out why people all over the universe say that coffee is “happiness in a cup…”

With every sip, I felt more and more awake and energized…but not only that…I felt content. It was as if God was giving me a boost to change my perspective. It was a beautiful autumn afternoon. And at risk of sounding trite and cliché, it was as if my eyes had opened to the gorgeous scenery. What a gift! The trees were exploding with color I had not paid attention to just minutes earlier.

The car rolled up and down the gentle hills on the country road that, literally takes me back to the place around here that I consider home, and my spirit was on cruise control. My perspective had gone from exhausted and gloomy to awake and serene. Rather than dreading the drive, I was looking forward to 45 minutes of nothing else to do than enjoy God´s beauty and let my mind wander freely through the colorful woods all around me.

Of course, it would be sacrilegious to credit the pumpkin spice low fat latté for the experience. But I tell you, Our Lord is the God of details, and He cares so deeply and intensely for you and me, that He gives us exactly what we need at the exact moment we need it and in whatever way, shape or form that He knows would work for our specific situation. You may read this piece and think I´m nuts, because this beverage does nothing for you. He knows. He knows you and He knows me. And He knows how to reach us individually. He knows our uniqueness…after all, His hand formed us.

At any rate, I´m not going to become a coffee drinker or anything like that now. I just wanted to share the special moment I had and how God helped me relax and appreciate the simple things of life. And yes, the last night of Bible Study did turn out to be splendid, indeed, in more ways that I can express. But that´s the topic for another post. Until next time…I sign off, intent in never brushing off again what coffee drinkers all over the universe know: sometimes, happiness does come in a cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.