Friday, September 29, 2017

Warm Blanket of Peace



Do you ever get cold chills running up and down your spine when you are experiencing fear or anxiety? I do… and I really, REALLY dislike that sensation. I am tired of it. I don’t want to live my life trapped in a web built by my own mind and aided by the manipulations of the enemy. I want to be free! I want to get rid of the chains that keep me a slave of fear. I don’t want to be cold anymore. I want to feel the warmth of God’s love…

I want My Lord to cover me with the warm blanket of His peace so the cold chills of fear may finally disappear.

This is the prayer that I have been using to try to take my thoughts captive every time they start to get out of my control. The thing is that as I am in the middle of a season of waiting, worries about the uncertainties of the future brew a sense of fear in my mind and heart. Then, as the runaway thoughts come in like a dark fog into my brain, the cold shivers immediately follow as a sure sign that I have let my mind wander way too far.

Why do I worry about anything? Why do I insist in allowing my thoughts to go where I know they will find the switch to anxiety and flip it on? Why do I have such a hard time listening and believing the words Jesus Himself tells me in Matthew 6: 25a “Do not worry about your life…” Do not worry about any of it: the body, the clothes, the food, the drinks, and especially, do not worry about the future!

Don’t you love Jesus?! Don’t you just love how clearly He often speaks? It is so plainly stated here, almost as if He is saying, stop it! Quit worrying! It’s not worth it! Leave tomorrow in the future, believe me…you don’t want to bring tomorrow into today. Each day has its own things to worry about, so why worry double!? There is only one thing you need to do, child: SEEK ME!

Sigh…

Lord, help me, please!

During the last day or so, prompted by my niece, who is more like my sister, we have been sharing our favorite psalms among her, my sister and me. Not surprisingly, Psalm 23 came out as a popular one. Today, I want to recall one of my favorite promises this precious piece of Scripture offers us:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil;

For You are with me;

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23: 4



Enough said…

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.