Monday, December 6, 2021

ARG!

 Growing up in Panama, we are very well acquainted with Pirates.  Panama was an important Spanish base where gold and silver was extracted from, trafficked through and sent to Spain.  Therefore, it was eyed by many Pirates and Privateers from England and France throughout its colonial history. Highly inaccessible not just because of the forts built by the Spanish, but also because of the tropical jungle that carried diseases to which Europeans were not immune, not many attacks were successful.  There was, however, Henri Morgan, a British Privateer who did invade Panama City in 1671, destroying it and ransacking it.  

At any rate, as life would have it, I left Panama to settle in the land of the Pirates, so the theme continues. 

Why am I writing about Pirates...you may wonder? Well, I woke up thinking again about my theme-word for 2022: Help, and about what the concept entails...and something funny happened.  I was thinking about three things that revolve around "help":

Asking for it in humility.

Receiving it with gratitude.

Giving it to others every chance we get.

When I put the letters together, ARG was the acronym.  Of course nobody knows for sure what the jargon of Pirates was or whether or not they truly said "Arr," "Yarr" or "Arg." But, in popular culture, these expressions are typically attributed to pirates when they want to respond "yes" or when expressing excitement.  So, I'm going with it.  The theme for 2022 is Help: asking for it, receiving it and giving it.  Am I pumped about it? ARG!

May the Lord prepare us.  In the precious Name of Jesus.  Amen! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.