Monday, March 9, 2020

Delegate!

Me:  "Why doesn't anybody ever help me around here?  I am NOT YOUR MAID!!!"

Grant:  "I asked you if you needed help, and you said NO!"

Me incredulous

Me ashamed

It pains me to admit it, but...I could be a drama queen...

Organization is not my strong suit.  I don't know how to do it.  Part of being a good organizer is to recognize the talents of those around us and distribute the work so not one single person has to do it all.  But, I'm not very good at that.  I'm so busy, I believe it's a waste of time to take time to think about strategies.  Also, to tell you the truth, I wonder if it all has something to do with pride?

Yes, pride...so I can say:  "Look at what I have done all by MYSELF!
Nobody helped me"

I also think that I often expect way too much of others:  "well, they should know they need to help me.  I shouldn't have to ask them!"  "THEY need to pay more attention and realize I NEED HELP!  They are SO lazy, look at me, doing all the work and look at them...playing video games or watching silly videos on YouTube! and where is Dan!?"

I'm exhausted...

I'm worn out...

I've got nothing left...

I, I, I...

The funny thing is, sometimes, we are so into the events and circumstances that we fail to see what's happening.  It takes someone else to point out to us...to tell us..."girl, it's OK to ask for help and delegate!"  Kind of what happened to Moses back in the desert.  Exodus chapter 18 tells us about Jethro, Moses' Father in Law's visit and the wisdom of his advice.  After seeing how Moses was handling all the affairs of the people of Israel by himself, Jethro told him:  "The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone." (Exodus 18: 18b)  Then he proceeded to give Moses an organizational model that instituted the first officers among the people of Israel.  Jethro taught Moses how to delegate effectively so he would not wear himself out before getting to the promised land.

I believe that is a key skill in all leadership positions: the ability to delegate effectively.  And for those of us who don't have that innate ability to recognize the need to delegate, be it because of pride or any other reason, we need to listen to the wise counsel of those who have our best interest at heart.  I have to get off my high horse and listen when people tell me that it is OK to ask for help.  I know, asking for help puts us in a vulnerable position and at a place where we can face rejection.  BUT, that's part of growing up: being humble enough to recognize we can't do it all alone and that it is OK when others say NO to us.

Sigh...

I don't know if I am emotionally strong enough yet to exercise the level of humility I need to admit I need help...but at least I am willing to consider that if Moses, MOSES, accepted it, I should think about the remote possibility that I might, perhaps, have to accept it too.

May the Holy Spirit give me the humility and strength necessary to admit that I need help and the wisdom to effectively delegate...regardless of the attitudes of those to whom I am asking.  Amen!





No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.