Thursday, March 12, 2020

Longer than a "Fortnight"

Video games...yep...as a parent or grandparent you are aware of the power video games have over our beloved kids.  A couple of summers ago, Dylan was under the spell of one called Fortnite.  I have never seen that child so driven...or shall I say...so addicted?  I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it.  He was.  And I was rendered helpless.  It was an awful summer.  I could sit here and type along all the signs of addiction that Dylan displayed, but that's not the point.  The point is that I saw my son become a slave.  And it took the strength of Jesus to break him free.

I often wonder about slavery...the kind of slavery that makes a human believe he/she can own another human.  That's what drug dealers, coffee vendors, video game designers and many others strive for: to make people addicted to their products so they can own them for life.  It's wrong...but it's a desire that all humans experience in the dark corners of their souls...even if we don't want to admit it.  But...if it's wrong...why does God condone it?

In Exodus, God the LORD gave the law to Moses.  In chapter 21, right after the 10 commandments, He begins a detailed account of the intricacies of this law with the articles concerning how to deal with one's servants...aka: slaves.  I have to admit that I have a hard time reading through this chapter.  Why didn't God just tell Moses to tell the people of Israel that they were not to have slaves anymore?  Why regulating slavery instead of ending it?

To know the mind of God...an impossible quest.  One can just pray for the Holy Spirit's guidance and trust His Goodness and Holiness.

I mean, the precepts in chapter 21 of Exodus and beyond are known as the Law of Moses.  And, it doesn't directly apply to Christians today.  However, like Jon Courson says in his commentary: "it is definitely helpful for us because in studying the Law of Moses, we gain insight into the mind and heart of God, and into the Person and Nature of His Son - for the sacrifices, ordinances and regulations which follow all ultimately point to Him."  That's why, I believe, The LORD Almighty decided to regulate the actions of His people...so, when His Son would come in the flesh, they would recognize Him as the One.

The slavery precepts, then, apply to us in a way that indicate how we become slaves to Christ, marked by our love to Him, forever! (Exodus 21: 5-6)  It also foreshadows how Jesus, Himself, loves us so much that He was willing to become a servant...also marked by His love for us, forever.  But, more importantly, these ordinances contained in the Law of Moses help us truly appreciate and clearly understand Paul's statement:  It is for freedom that Christ has set us free! (Galatians 5: 1) 

Paul's words are never better internalized than when one has experienced the horror of slavery.

Eventually (believe me, it took longer than a "fortnight"), Dylan withdrew from Fortnite to a point that now he recognizes the dangers of allowing something to control you.  He doesn't want to be under the control of a mindless thing.  He wants to be free.  And he exercises that freedom as he says no to games and knows when it's time to quit.  Even having a phone has been NOT the nightmare I imagined it would be.  He actually puts the phone away when he is home.  I am very proud of him.  Of course, I continue to use the Fortnite experience every chance I get, to remind him of the dangers of allowing something to make us into a slave.  He doesn't like it when I bring it up...that's how I know he agrees. 

The funny thing is...Dylan is not the only one in this household who has experienced being enslaved to something...but that's the topic for another post.  For now, I just pray that the Holy Spirit gives us discernment to understand the difficult passages we encounter in Scripture as we strive to move closer to Him who owns our heart and soul.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.