Friday, March 13, 2020

Trust against Fear

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity or cowardice or fear, but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of sound judgment and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control]. 
2 Timothy 1: 7 (Amplified Bible)

Looking through a list of Bible verses that deal with fear, panic and anxiety, I was reminded of Paul's words above...and all the comfort this verse has always brought and continues to bring into my soul, heart and mind rushed back to me, so I must share it in bold, large letters today as a testimony of faith in the One to Whom the winds and the waves obey!

Paul wrote these words to his beloved Timothy during his second time in prison in Rome...knowing that this would be the last time too...because he'd been sentenced to death.  With the end of his days upon him, Paul writes to Timothy/us about life!  And what a life!  Life without fear!

In these strange days we are living in, when the world seems to be collapsing under the pressure of panic and fear, I cling to these Spirit-filled words from two thousand years ago.  Today, when plans seem to be changing hourly not just for me, but for all of us...when our kids look at us hoping for answers that we cannot give, expecting a sense of stability that we cannot provide, I hang on to these words and pray for the Light to shine brightly all around us, destroying all that is holding us captive...and returning us to a state of calm, sound judgment, well-balanced mind and self-control.

I hang on to what I just told my VERY disappointed High School Senior after the news of the postponement of his long-anticipated trip to Disney came to us:  We trust the Lord and His plans, which are usually better than ours (maybe we will have a better trip now?).  I want to hang on to this thought and to allow the Holy Spirit to fill us up with peace that overflows.  May the Rescuer and Redeemer make His presence evident all around us right now! In the Precious Name of Jesus, who has already defeated all enemies in this world and the next.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.