Monday, March 23, 2020

Our Eyes Are On You!


2 Chronicles 20:12 (NIV)

Our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you.”

I heard a pastor bring this scripture up in a live-streaming sermon yesterday as we tried our best to do home-church (boy, how do the Amish do this every Sunday?).  And I was struck by it.  The people of Israel are surrounded by enemies, and this honest cry is lifted to the God Almighty...

I identify with this cry.

"I do not know what to do..." this is often my state.  I stumble into trouble.  I trip and fall.  I get lost on my way...and I don't know what to do.  I walk away from My Lord and I lose my way...and I don't know what to do.  I obey my flesh and stop listening to the Spirit...and I don't know what to do.  I'm scared by the enemy that surrounds me...and I don't know what to do.  I witness the panic on those around me...and I don't know what to do.

But, there is one thing that we can always do.  The only sure thing that will provide guidance:  to keep our eyes on Him.

My eyes are on You, Lord.  I claim Your promises as true.  I cling to Your love eternal.  I trust Your Goodness.  I invoke Your Presence.  I keep my eyes on You, Lord...for even though I do not know what to do, I know You do.  Your Sovereign Hand is in control and I am on the Palm of Your Hand.

In the midst of these anxious days, when uncertainty about everything reigns all throughout our worldly perspective, let's not be like Peter who got distracted by the winds and the waves around him, and let's fix our eyes upon Jesus...and wait for the things of this earth to become dim in the Light of His Wonderful Face!  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.