Tuesday, March 27, 2012

He Will Heal Our Land


Lately, I have been feeling a little frustrated, afraid, confused, concerned and honestly, angry when I look around and see the state of our society and our nation as a whole.  I really don’t see how any Christian, regardless of point of view, perspective or affiliation might be satisfied with the way things are today.  I certainly am not.  The worst part for me is that I have not a clue how to contribute to start changing things around.

As I stop and think, however, I realize that my hopelessness and helplessness flourish when I forget what God has promised us.  So I go back to His Word and He reminds me that if we, His people, whom He calls to Himself by the power of His name, will humble themselves and pray and seek [His] face and turn from their wicked ways, then will [He] hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14)

These words represent, therefore, the Lord’s instructions for those who belong to Him on what to do to bring healing to their land.  And as we examine them, we discover a full circle of intertwined steps for believers to follow in times of distress. 

First, we are to humble ourselves.  Biblically speaking, being humble does not mean being a wimp.  It means that we surrender to our Lord and that we realize that it is not by our own actions that things get done, plans become enacted or success is achieved.  It is only by the power of God according to His perfect will.  Our best example on how to do this is Jesus, who being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross! (Philippians 2:5-8). 

There is nothing wimpy about Jesus’ ultimate act of humility.  As fully man, He had to overcome any human emotion He might’ve experienced when taking the road to Calvary.  As a man, He put aside the desire to show His divinity and demonstrate His omnipotence to those who relentlessly and mercilessly mocked him and tortured him.  The self-restrained displayed by the Christ on behalf of the fulfillment of the eternal plan for the salvation of His chosen children shows the magnitude of Jesus’ strength rather than weakness.  Therefore, humility is the opposite of frailty.  A willingness of a heart to be humble and submit to God denotes the strength of character of those who follow His way.

Second we see how surrendering comes intertwined with prayer.  Prayer is communicating with God.  It is important to remember that such communication is two-fold.  We speak and we listen.  Therefore, it is also two-way.  Our Lord does speak to us.  Are we listening?  Do we know how to listen?  Do we want to listen?  Personally, sometimes I don’t really want to listen because I kind of know what He might say and I have a feeling it may not be what I want to hear.  But that’s just me.

Third, we understand that in prayerful surrender, we seek His face. Jesus is very clear on what we are to do. He tells us that rather than chasing after the things of this world which we desire for our comfort and ease, we are to seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6: 33) We are called to walk on the narrow path and seek a life of godliness which has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. (1Timothy 4:8)

Fourth, as a consequence of the previous steps, a change of hearts is inevitable. Eternity in our hearts becomes our way of life. With our eyes focused on Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit flowing through us we turn from our wicked ways. It doesn’t matter how good we think we are when compared to others; the reality check is evident when we compare our lives to our only perfect model, Jesus Christ. We fall short every time. In humility we then acknowledge our total depravity and cry out to Him who hears us and rescues us.

So finally, the fifth and last step brings the circle to a close. As we humbly give ourselves to Him, prayerfully seek His face and turn from our wicked ways regardless of where we are, we cry out to Him. Even from the depths of our personal abyss where, the cords of death entangled [us]; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed [us] in our distress we call to the Lord, we cry to our God for help. And from His temple He hears our voice. (Psalm 18: 4-6) For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help. (Psalm 22: 24)

For great is your love toward me; you have delivered me from the depths of the grave. (Psalm 86: 13)

He loves us, indeed, and He empowers us to act for His Kingdom. He empowers us to know that He is God and that even in the turbulence of the current times He is and forever will continue to be in control of all things.

Even when all seems lost He knows where to find it. Our God is not dead. Our Redeemer lives! Now, the trick is to remember it. I hope I remember this truth next time I feel overwhelmed by the signs of the times. I hope I remember this truth next time I feel hopeless and helpless. I hope I remember that God is not done with me yet. He is not done with our country either. We are still here; therefore, we still have hope. He is the source of our true hope, and only He can truly change us. He is the only one who can forgive our failures and He is the only one who can heal us.



Ecclesiastes 10:2 The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.


Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve my life;
you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes,
with your right hand you save me.
The Lord will fulfill [his purpose] for me;
your love, O Lord, endures forever—
do not abandon the works of your hands. 

Psalm 138: 7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.