Friday, March 16, 2012

Soaring Home on Wings Like Eagles


Isaiah 40:31
“But those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.”


Every afternoon I have the privilege to see my boys get off the school bus and welcome them home. Everyday I rejoice watching how Dylan starts running toward the house as soon as his little feet touch the driveway. He runs with a big smile on his face. Sometimes I step outside and wait for them at the top of the driveway. On those days, Dylan runs with open arms, almost ready to take off the ground, to land in a tight embrace into mine. It sure is delightful to hug my little one and lift him up after a long day at school.

The scene reminds me of how I imagine the day I will finally come home and get to see Jesus for the first time. I picture Him at the end of the heavenly driveway with His arms extended toward me, motioning me to come near. Like the song says, “I can only imagine,” the joy I would feel on that moment. After a long “day” that lasted a lifetime, filled with hardship, disappointment, discouragement, and failures, the reward will await me with open arms. I imagine my strength being renewed and not feeling faint anymore. I imagine me running and more than that, soaring as if with wings like eagles to land in his arms at last. O glorious day!

The thought of that moment refuels my empty soul and sparks the energy that jumpstarts my engine again. This engine designed by My Maker, which keeps me functioning while still on this side of heaven despite the occasional stalling on cold days. The thoughts of the eternal keep me wanting to press on for I am not done yet. Like Paul tells us in Philippians 3: 13-14,
“…one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

I’ll keep on pressing on as I wait to be home. Today, however, as the first signs of spring pop up all around, I think I will venture outside to wait for Dylan at the top of the driveway. Hopefully I will see him running happily into my arms, pretending to fly. I will receive him with joy in my heart and lift him off the ground, while I still can : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.