Friday, May 25, 2012

In the Light of the Super Moon

Early in May there was a big to-do about the so-called “Super Moon.” Perhaps you missed it; maybe you did get to see it. I didn’t know anything about it until the morning of the day it happened. I made sure, however, that I remember to take time to see it in the evening which, I thought, would make an already special day even extra- “super” special.

As it happened, that Saturday, May 5th was my son Grant’s birthday. He turned 10, which in itself is amazing to me. I just cannot believe that it has been 10 years since I received him into my arms as a - 22 inches, 8.14 oz -miracle. But life has a way to slip away very fast. The only thing left for us to do is to make sure we make good memories and imprint them into our hearts and minds in a way that they stay there forever. The fact that there was going to be a “super moon” that evening helped me shape a moment, a memory and perhaps even a meditation.

One of the presents we gave Grant and his brother too, was a full-size trampoline. They had been begging for one ever since their cousins Luke and Sarah got one last year. Dan finally gave in and got it a few days before Grant’s big day. It was a great joy to see the look of surprise in the boys faces once they figured out what was inside the huge box that their Dad had just brought in from its hiding place at Grandma’s house.

Right away we got to work on it and by that afternoon, it was up.

At sunset, as we were trying out the trampoline, I told the kids about the super moon. I highly doubt they heard a word I said. As the moon was not in full view yet, nobody seemed very excited about it. It got chilly, so I wrapped myself in a SpongeBob blanket and stood on the trampoline, trying to steady myself as the boys bounced around me. Finally, darkness came and the moon began to climb on the sky. In a matter of seconds we saw the light of the super moon surround us in a silver glow that made the darkness vanish. I turned to the boys, saw the look of awe in their little faces and realized the magnificent manifestation of God’s power in His creation had finally captured the attention of my distracted sons.

The light brightened up our backyard and bounced off the dark trampoline matt like a spotlight. I said a few things about how we are to be like the moon and reflect the light, the Divine Light we have in us. I reminded them how Jesus is the Light of the World and since He lives in us, we are His light and we need to let it shine. I said many things, which I’m sure they half-heard, until I finally decided to lay down on the trampoline to contemplate the super moon in silence. Dylan lay down next to me and later Grant did the same. We laid down in silence for a long while, basking in that glorious and miraculous gift from God.

A divinely appointed moment, a long-lasting memory, a time set aside for quiet meditation, it was all accomplished in the most simplest of ways, lying out on a trampoline, moon-bathing on a super moon in early May.

We have the Light in us. Therefore, we are called to be the light in this dark world.

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”

Matthew 5: 14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.