Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Egg Separation


Another “perk” of the current diet I’m in right now in preparation for Thyroid treatment is that I can only have egg whites…no yolks. And of course, I cannot use store-bought egg whites either. They have to be the real thing. Well, after a few days of eating basically the same for lunch and dinner, I began to be hungry for something different. My handy cook book had a recipe for potato omelet. It caught my eye right away since I LOVE Spanish Tortilla, and after glancing at the short recipe I knew right away that, THAT was exactly what this dish was, so I rejoiced! The down side…I had to separate eggs…

My memories of disastrous attempts at egg separation caused me anxiety. So before I even began to dream about eating my beloved Spanish Tortilla, I went to one of the 21st century’s most commonly used source of information on how to do anything…YouTube. And voilà, there it was. I found a long list of “best ways to separate an egg” videos. I picked the first one I saw, and it was a guy with an Eastern European accent telling me that all I needed for this daunting task were two plates and an empty water bottle???

I knew better than to distrust anything on YouTube : ) so I emptied a water bottle, got the plates, eggs and watched the video. Astonished, I saw how this guy cracked the egg on one of the plates then proceeded to suction the yolk right out of the white swiftly with the empty water bottle to then deposit it gently on the other plate. In less than 15 seconds, the egg had been separated without any kind of disgusting-E.coli-inducing-mess!

I, once again, marveled at God’s attention to details. I don’t know why I do…He is the God of the details and of order and of beauty… otherwise, why would have He made so many varieties of flowers, and leaves, and people? He rejoices in the intricacies of His creation and the Joy of the Lord IS our strength!

Sometimes we forget, but I know that we can see the Hand of God in everything that happens to us, if we only watch carefully. I chose the word “refocus” as my word for 2014, and I am trying, especially through my current circumstances, to truly put it into practice and refocus my vision so I can see Him in action in every little thing that happens to me, for an awareness of His presence sustains me.

In the meantime, I can tell you I enjoyed that Spanish Tortilla immensely! It was a huge treat. As a matter of fact, I’m thinking I might need to get me some more water bottles so I can make more for lunch today again!

“Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.