Friday, January 10, 2014

For Those Whose Eyes Are on Me

This morning, I read the following statement in my daily devotional:

“The way we behave overwhelmingly flows from what we deeply believe.”

Needless to say, I was convicted by the mere thought of that…It is not that I am wild and act like a pagan. It is more like I too often act as a woman who is overwhelmed and hopelessly crushed by life’s circumstances. 

As I approach a huge challenge in a few days, I realize there are precious eyes watching my every move. My sons’, first and for most, then, there is the rest of my family, my friends, my brothers and sisters in Christ, they are all watching, and whether they know it or not, how I fare through my storm will have some sort of impact in their own lives. Some realize it more than others. Some WAY more than most…my dearest niece/little sister, Nicole falls into this category. She openly and unapologetically told me so a couple of days ago. 

I must have sounded as if I was moping the floor with my spirit (I don’t know how that image transpired through a text message, but she perceived it, somehow) because she wrote me a few words that shook me. She said, and I quote:

“I don’t think I need to tell you, but you better react well to this because I am watching you and I am planning to copy EVERYTHING you do!!! : )” Then she wrapped it up saying: “It’s not what happens to us but how we decide to react that defines us…”

Well, there I had it. Nicole managed to condense life-guiding lessons in a couple of sentences sent over a text-message across the miles. I know that I am going to be scared in the two weeks to come; but I also know that the Lord is Faithful even when I am not. He has already provided for every detail in this journey and He will continue to provide everything I need to weather this current storm. I know that in the midst of my fear and anxiety, even if I can’t do it for myself, those whom God has placed around me as brothers and sisters in Christ, as well as the Holy Spirit Himself, will lift me up in prayer and supplication with thanksgiving so the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil 4: 6-7)

I sure pray that neither Nicole nor anybody I know and love would ever have to be in a circumstance in which they may have to copy everything I am doing today and in the coming weeks; but if they ever do, I pray that all they remember is that we can do all this through Christ who gives us strength. (Phil 4: 13) 

I claim this as my statement of faith, and I pray that I behave in a way that demonstrates that I believe it! Let my actions reveal my faith in You as I go through my trials so my behavior may be my testimony of faith to those whose eyes are on me.

Linking with: Essential Fridays

4 comments:

  1. You can absolutely do all this through Him, my friend! Your faith is always inspiring in my eyes. I'm certain you are a wonderful example of a woman living in Christ to your niece Nicole as well. I'll continue praying for your strength and recovery in the coming weeks, Gisela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual, thank you Candace for your encouraging presence. It means the world to me. Hugs

      Delete
  2. Beautiful message with such honesty! Jesus is right there next to us in the boat through the storms and He alone has the power to bring us peace and calm in the middle of the wind and waves. I pray that you feel this throughout your storm and that His light shines through you.
    Thanks for sharing at Essential Fridays.
    Blessings
    Mel from Essential Thing Devotions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for taking the time to visit, Mel and above all, thank you for your prayers! Blessings to you, as well!

      Delete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.