Wednesday, January 15, 2014

From Panicky Prayers to Confident Assurance

Well, the hour is very near…tomorrow I go in to take my treatment for thyroid cancer and, needless to say, I am not really pumped about it. I spent the morning alone at home, trying to get ready for the 5 day-isolation period that follows taking the radioactive pill, which is the main treatment, and it was a bummer. My mind kept racing and I kept bumping into panicky prayers. You know the kind? Those which you utter in your mind in a moment of…well…panic, when you think the whole world is going to collapse on top of you, hopelessly crushing you…the kind in which you hear the thoughts trembling in your mind (it sounds impossible, but that’s the only way I can explain it). Well, panicky prayers…

I have to say, I am tired of panicky prayers. I want confident assurance, instead!

How do I get that?

Well, if I would just pay attention to whom Our Heavenly Father is, I would not have to wonder such a thing. If I would only remember what He has done in the past, recount His acts, look back and see His constant hand of deliverance and recall the fact that He is Faithful and that His promises are true, I would have no use for panicky prayers. But I so quickly forget…

That’s why even in my forgetfulness and in the midst of my doubt, He comes true. As I opened my devotional today, January 15th, the words on that little page jumped out at me as if straight from above:

“Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? I choose to put my hope in You, O God, for I will yet praise You, my Savior and my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I remember You! (Ps. 42:5-6). In all my distress, you too are distressed, and the angel of Your presence saves me. You lift me up and carry me as You have done for Your children through all the days of old (Isa. 45:3). Lord, help me not to fear, for You are with me; I need not be dismayed, for You are my God. You will strengthen me and help me. You will uphold me with Your righteous right hand (Isa. 41:10).”

And there I had it…confident assurance carefully packed by God’s Hand in a nutshell just when I needed it.

God’s timing and mysterious ways never cease to amaze me. He is the source of all power and the key to having that power flowing through us is to stay connected to it through His Word. If I don’t have His Word in my heart, it is going to be more difficult for the Word to come to my rescue in my hour of need. Of course the Lord is resourceful and He will send us His Word regardless, but it sure makes it easier when we stay tapped to Him by the unbreakable cords of Scripture at all times. 

I just let out a big sigh of relief as I marveled at God’s Goodness, yet one more time. I dove into the calming waters of His Love and I breathed in His healing power as I felt confident that He walks with me through this fire. He is Lord of All. 

So the route from panicky prayers to confident assurance…? Knowing His Word, reading His Word, listening to His Word so we can call on His promises, faithfulness and love at all times and in any situation. It never fails.

Linking with: Whole Hearted Home and Little R and R

4 comments:

  1. amen!! praying :)!!

    Mark 16
    17-18 “These are some of the signs that will accompany believers: ... they will drink poison and not be hurt, they will lay hands on the sick and make them well.”

    Is 41: (Msg - who knew they'd use 'panic'? :))
    I pulled you in from all over the world :)...
    Telling you, ‘You’re my servant, serving on my side.
    I’ve picked you. I haven’t dropped you.’
    Don’t panic. I’m with you.
    There’s no need to fear for I’m your God.
    I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you.
    I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.

    When you go out looking for your old adversaries (cancer)
    you won’t find them—
    That’s right. Because I, your God,
    have a firm grip on you and I’m not letting go.
    I’m telling you, ‘Don’t panic.
    I’m right here to help you.’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, this is PERFECT! Thank you SO much for quoting these passages to me from the Message...they are perfectly suited for a time such as this. Thank you my friend. I think of you often and the struggles you, yourself had to endure, and your experience brings me great hope. See you soon!

      Delete
    2. There are so many, but another favorite: 'many are the afflictions of the righteous but the Lord delivers him out of them ALL'.

      He also says in Mark 11: 23 'whoever SAYS to this mountain, 'Be lifted up and thrown into the sea!' and believes, it will be done. 'Let the redeemed of the Lord SAY so'. Say what God says about you - as you read, as you walk, clean... He speaks, and He told us to - that's how the word is activated (satan can't read minds and angels are released to carry out the Word). Rom 4:17 ...Who gives life to the dead and SPEAKS of the non-existent things... as if they [already] existed. Deut 28 is a list of your blessings. Gal 3:13-14 says Jesus redeemed us from the curses (so reading them reminds us of what we're free from). and a favorite John 1:4. Shalom dear hermana! He is with you <3

      Delete
  2. Gisela!! Oh this is upsetting. You are so special and I am so sorry that you have to go through this. Beth from Messy Marriage also has cancer. I will remember to pray for you in the upcoming days and weeks. This was a beautiful post and thank you for sharing it with me for WholeHearted Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.