Sunday, January 5, 2014

Holy-Spirit-Infused Power and Discipline



For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. 2 Timothy 1: 7

I have to say that I do invoke this verse in my mind often, for, upon occasion, I am one who falls victim of fear and nervousness. That is why the Holy Spirit keeps this fact fresh in my consciousness. As I am about to take yet another step in the process of a treatment that will be utilized by Jehovah Rapha, the God who Heals, in order to restore my health, I stand here sustained by the power bestowed on me by the Spirit who dwells in my soul. I cannot do this on my own. There are several issues involved in this treatment which represent great challenges for me, and whereas the one that begins tomorrow is not the greatest, it is, nonetheless, a big one.

Tomorrow I have to start a diet that I have to keep for 2 weeks. I know it sounds like I’m just being a big baby. I am. I am a selfish, spoiled and undisciplined BIG baby. Dieting has not been a part of who I am EVER! I tried it when I was in college and I could never stick with any of the ever flowing varieties of new diets my roommates always seem to come up with. I think two days may have been my max. I always gave up. 

Later in life, I haven’t even tried…

I don’t over-eat, but I just eat whatever I want when I want. Fast food, frozen food, processed food, junk food, comfort food…they are all part of my regular “diet.” I don’t do much of the healthy food category. I enjoy taste too much : ). So for me to know that I have to stick for TWO weeks to a strict diet where none of the above, except for the “healthy food” is allowed, constitutes a great challenge. And I’m not really looking forward to it.

The power to do this, however, does not come from me. I am entering this new stage in the process of healing ushered by the Spirit who lives in me, which is not one of fear, anxiety, doubt or timidity, but one of POWER, DISCIPLINE and above all…LOVE!

The Holy Spirit will give me the power to start it and the discipline to stick with it, as His love carries me through it all. 

I feel stronger now just thinking about how the Lord has provided for me already. He is Good all the time, and He has led me to a great cookbook with wonderful recipes of deliciously sounding foods that I can try, and with the time off to prepare them (for who knew that making stuff from scratch took soooo long?!). He is taking care of every detail as He is meeting my every need. So there is not much more for me to do but to rest in His Spirit as He infuses me with His strength to surpass every challenge coming my way.

Let’s see how I manage to stick with this diet for the following days and hopefully soon I will be posting about how successful everything was! In the meantime, I’m diving in! And I'm hoping to make my old college roommates proud : )

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your post telling us "how successful everything was"! You can do this. I have no doubt. I will, of course, be praying for you, Gisela! Thank you for the verse. I wrote it down to refer to often :). As you said, the Holy Spirit will grant you the discipline you need in the coming weeks with all you are dealing with! Please continue to keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again, thank you for your encouragement, Candace and for your prayers. The prayers of the faithful are God's manifestation of His love for us. Blessings always!

      Delete

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.