Friday, September 18, 2015

Clear the Way, Lord!



Last night, a troubling thought came to my mind…this isn’t unusual since my head is plagued by troubling thoughts day-in and day-out…but this particular one was rather original…I thought, what’s the point? What’s the point of all the work I do all day? Is this how life is supposed to be lived? Am I supposed to rush through the hours, be stressed out about all the work I have to do and be rude to those around me because they are on my way, delaying me from completing the task I have in front of my face? Is life just a series of chores to be done, deadlines to be met, promotions to be gotten, dinners to be made and bathtubs to be scrubbed? What’s the point of all this hassle? Can’t I just give up? Do I ever get to quit?

Today, I read in my Sarah Young’s Jesus is Calling daily devotional, the following:

"Seek to please Me above all else. Let that goal be your focal point as you go through this day. Such a mind-set will protect you from scattering your energy to the winds. The free will I bestowed on you comes with awesome responsibility. Each day presents you with choice after choice. Many of these decisions you ignore and thus make by default. Without a focal point to guide you, you can easily lose your way. That’s why it is so important to stay in communication with Me, living in thankful awareness of My Presence.

You inhabit a fallen, disjointed world, where things are constantly unraveling around the edges. Only a vibrant relationship with Me can keep you from coming unraveled too."

Matthew 6: 33; John 8: 29; Colossians 3: 23-24

Well, this reading gave me a renewed perspective. It pointed right out what my issue is: I’m becoming unraveled, just as the world is too. I am allowing myself to be caught up in the world’s web of materialism and busyness, which is distracting me from my goal: to seek Him FIRST! I am running around like a mad woman, scattering my energy to the winds. I am not making the right choices. I am confusing my way.

Today, it is my intention to purposely refocus. As a first step, I need to remember to pray. I need to remember to stay in constant communication with my source of strength. And one of the things I pray is that the Lord would point out to me the moments when I begin to lose or confuse the path, and that He would re-direct me by adjusting the lenses through which I see. I pray He would wipe off the fog from my eyes and clear the road ahead so I remember that the point is to seek Him FIRST!

I also pray that I remember that the ideal is not to quit or give up on life, but that the command is to:

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 
Colossians 3: 23-24


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.