Thursday, September 8, 2016

Overwhelmed



The semester has just started and I already feel overwhelmed. To tell you the truth I’ve felt overwhelmed the entire summer. I used up most of my days this past summer trying to do work ahead so I would not be so overwhelmed during the semester…but from where I stand today, I’m not sure I made a dent…

I have so much work to do!!!!

And that’s just for work…then, there’s life. I can’t even go there now.

Here’s where I have to pause…breathe deeply…and let go!

The only thing I’m accomplishing by thinking about all the stuff I have coming is fretting! Worrying about it is not going to make me have any less work to do. Looking at the constantly growing to-do list is only going to send me into an emotional tail spin. So I just need to STOP!

- Insert deep breath here…

Now, what are some productive things I can do in order to feel less overwhelmed? I’m only going to list two…since I don’t want to add more stuff to my list…

1. Pitch the “to-do list” and create a “done” list, or a reverse-to-do list. Rather than obsessing on the long list of things that I still have to accomplish, I’m going to set that one aside, and write another one with the things I have already accomplished. Once I’m done putting those things down, surely I’ll start to see my life from a different perspective and a sense of productivity should follow. I would be able to tell myself, remind myself, that I have, indeed, finished something! It will be a list full of check marks!!! How awesome would that look like? (note to self: create a reverse-to-do list for my husband and my sons so I focus on what they have actually done and not on the stuff they haven’t so I can occasionally/sporadically praise them)

2. Find a short Bible verse that reminds me that God is sovereign, that all my days are in His hands and that He will take care of me no matter what. For me, that verse is: “Be still and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46: 10) This is the verse that carries me through my darkest hours. These are the words that the Holy Spirit whispers to me to pull me out of the deepest waters. These are the soothing thoughts that calm my worst fears. There are many others, but I think this one encompasses, in a concise manner, the truth I need to hear when I’m deafened by the voices of deceit that constantly speak lies into my mind. Along this scripture, I also constantly repeat to myself a few other phrases: “I trust You, Lord” is one. “You are the King of who I am” is another one. These two affirmations stay with me all day long so I’m reminded that it’s not about me…and that all will work out in the end…no matter what.

Well, I have to run. But I know that the Holy Spirit is already working in me as I feel the beat of my heart slowing down to a normal pace now. I still have a lot to do. However, I want to approach the tasks ahead from a different perspective. I want to tackle the work from a position of accomplishment and productivity, plugged into my one true source of power…for as we well know: we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength! (Philippians 4: 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.