Monday, December 19, 2016

Bright Morning Star


6 O come, O Bright and Morning Star,
and bring us comfort from afar!
Dispel the shadows of the night
and turn our darkness into light. Refrain

A couple of nights ago, we treated our boys to see the newest installment of the Star Wars Saga.  As you sure would probably imagine, these movies are greatly enjoyed by our sons, but not as much as by Dan and I.  Particularly this last one, I’d say it was made especially for old-folks like us who grew up with these stories.  At any rate, that’s not my point. 

As it happened, we drove separately, since Dylan and I had been out earlier in the morning, so Dan and Grant met us there.  It was funny when we were leaving the restaurant after the movie, because Dan was waiting for me to lead, but I hate leading…so I told him, “I don’t remember how to go” so, with a roll of his eyes, he pulled ahead.  A few seconds later I said to an uncharacteristically quiet Dylan, “Boy, am I glad I’m not leading!”

The thing is that as soon as we got on the road, the most intensely thick fog I’ve ever experienced surrounded us in a cloud so dense I had a hard time not becoming disoriented.  The only thing I could see was the two tiny red lights of Dan’s car up ahead.  I had to stay very close though, for if I let him get too much ahead, I’d lose the guiding lights…It was almost half an hour of being on the edge and constant prayer.  When we pulled in the garage, I wanted to kiss the ground, but it was too nasty, so I settled for a hearty, “Praise the Lord!” that Dylan gladly seconded.  I looked at Dan and hugged him, for he knows I would have probably not made it without him in front of me, giving me his tail lights.  He did not have anyone in front of him…so it would have been all me had I gone in first…what a horrible thought.

This is, but a pale reflection of the kind of hope and guidance that we get from our Lord. 
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8: 12

In this valley of the shadows of tears and death, we walk in darkness so thick that it prevents us to even see what’s right in front of us.  However, we don’t despair because we have the Light that dispels all the shadows of the night!  So let us Rejoice! For the Bright Morning Star is coming again!


"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star." Revelation 22: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.