Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th!



Growing up in Panama, the 4th of July was nothing special. Of course I knew it was the USA’s Independence Day…but there were no fireworks, no picnics, no parades to celebrate the event. It was just like any other day.

In the 20++ years I’ve lived here, however, I have learned to love and appreciate this blessed land. This land has given me so much. It has given me a new life. There are so many things I would have never had, had I not been here. My husband, for starters, my sons, my career, my house…my faith… I can honestly say that I would have none of these, had God not brought me here.

Somewhere along the path of reinventing myself, Christ showed up. He met me on the way and made me new. Of course, He could’ve found me wherever I’d been…but He chose to put me here, separated from my old, familiar surroundings, detached from what I loved, so I could clearly see Him, realize my need for Him and embrace His calling.

This is why the United States will always be a special place for me for as long as I live. Also because here I’ve learned that there is another way to be…

free…

It is easy, though, to lose hope when we turn on the television, the radio or the internet. The direction of this great nation may not be what we’d wish for, but there is always hope for those who put their trust in Lord. There is always hope for the nation whose people pray. There is always hope because hope is not a destination, true Hope is a Person…the Person of Jesus Christ.

This 4th of July let us remember to take some time to pray for our beloved country. Let us gratefully remember what it has given us. Let us praise the Lord with thanksgiving for placing us here. Let us humbly ask that the Most High would continue to bless it and keep it. Let us hope we continue to be a nation under God.

Happy 4th!


if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7: 14

Linking with:  Essential Thing Devotions

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.