Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Make Me a Fountain!



Don’t you love Church signs? They often reflect a profound wisdom packed in a few simple words. It is a true gift to be able to come up with a message of great impact in 25 characters or less : )

At any rate, for the past several weeks, a church around our area had a sign that kept convicting me…the words said: “Be a fountain, not a drain.” 

The first time I saw it, I thought it was cute. Then, as I kept seeing it each time I drove by, I began to really see it for what it meant. A fountain…hm…what does a fountain do? A fountain pumps out water, like a spring, continuously drawing out fresh water, causing it to flow forth, as if spraying fresh life all around. What does a drain do? Exactly the opposite…a drain draws off water, gradually, depleting it “to the point of exhaustion,” like the dictionary definition so clearly depicts it. 

As you may have guessed, the sign convicted me because I have been feeling more like a drain than a fountain lately. I’ve been feeling like I’m drawing the fresh water of life off those who walk beside me. My anxiety, fears and short temper have been combining to turn me into a real drain. I’ve been dragging my loved ones into places of instability by my lack of self-control. Rather than having my words be “a fountain of life” they have been a source of discontent and anger. (Proverbs 10: 11)

I want the words of James 1: 19-20 to be tattooed in my mind and permanently embroidered in my soul in a way that it becomes part of my DNA…part of who I am…

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.

I want my actions to produce “the righteousness that God desires”! I want the Holy Spirit to guide me so I become a calm, good listener of few words. I mean, really, don’t we all love people like that? Those are the exact qualities I seek in a friend! I want to be that! I pray the Holy Spirit helps me to be intentional about my walk of faith and to refocus my sight so I see with the eyes of Christ.

I don't want to be a drain that depletes the life off of those around me to the point of exhaustion.  I don't want to let my anger, my insecurities, my fears and anxiety draw the life off those I love most. Instead, I want Him to use me as a vehicle to pump out His love and grace and spill it into His children.

I want Him to make me a fountain!

Sigh…

The sign has since been replaced with a different one now. It is another clever and thought provoking one. It says: “Exposure to the Son prevents burning”… think about it! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.