Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Taste of Mother's Day


How does Mother's Day Taste?
Well, some may think it tastes like home.  It tastes like home-made dishes, fresh bread and cinnamon rolls.  Some may think it tastes like a favorite restaurant, a picnic or a cookout.  Yet some may think it tastes just like vinegar and salty tears.

Mother’s Day is around the corner once again… The stores dressed in pink cards and spring flowers give the day a special flavor that reminds me of cotton candy. A bitter-sweet holiday, nonetheless…for some it tastes really sweet, indeed, but for many others the bitter end of the stick is all they get.

For some it’s nothing but the reminder of a dearly loved Mother who has either long ago or very recently left this Earth. For others it represents facing the cruel reality of a Mother who has never really been around neither love them well. Yet, for others it is the finger pressed against the deep wound caused by the unfulfilled longing for children of their own. There are also some whom in the midst of motherhood themselves, realize it is not what they dreamed of. Truth has set in and the magic of child-rearing becomes the heavy burden of a job filled with worry, chores, and never-ending stress. And of course, there are still some others who get to experience many of the above combined in a neatly wrapped package.

I don’t seek to be a dark cloud in the midst of a wonderful celebration. I just want to acknowledge the pain that is around me and in me as another Mother’s Day approaches. The Lord has blessed me with Mother figures who fill the immense void left by my Mom fifteen years ago, and for that I am grateful. He has also given me the privilege of being a Mother myself. But I still struggle with many burdens of my own…I still walk alongside loved ones who are extremely alone and experiencing very deep wounds and limping in terrible pain…

For all of us who get to taste more of the bitter part of Mother’s Day than the sweetness of it, I would like to offer the Word…the very breath of God in His Word to bring us back to life and open up our eyes to His face. May we be reminded that, though it is hard to fully understand the unique kind of love that God has for us, He does love us. May we be reminded that even though He, at times, seems far away, He is constantly here…

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!” Isaiah 49: 15

Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me. 
Psalm 27: 10

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. 
Psalm 147: 3

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34: 18


So, whether it tastes like lemon meringue pie, cheesecake, pasta salad, roast beef, burgers or jalapeno peppers...I pray the Lord will shine His light on you today and that He will allow you to feel His presence walking beside you, even if you're traveling a long, lonely, rough way.

Happy Mother’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.