Monday, May 25, 2015


I didn’t grow up singing hymns and to tell you the truth, I sincerely believe that God speaks to me often through contemporary Christian music.  However, I am fully capable to admire, enjoy, worship and praise with hymns as well.  I can honestly say that there are some hymns that truly touch my soul as they unfold inspired revelation in every carefully crafted phrase, word and note.  Such is the case of “Come thou fount of every blessing.” In my opinion, this hymn beautifully expresses the inner struggles of Christians while powerfully re-stating the basic concept and foundation of Christianity which affirms that…

…God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
 Romans 5: 8

This truth is so simple that it becomes complex.  Even as Christians we often misunderstand it.  Sometimes we forget that we don’t have to be clean before we come to Him for He is the ONLY One who can really clean us.  No matter what we do to right our wrongs, we always fail.  The death that we must experience cannot be achieved by our own efforts.  It is Christ’s crucifixion what we need to go through.  Therefore, we cannot do it without Him. We are not worthy.  We are not clean.  None of us are righteous without Him…

… not even one (Romans 3: 10, Psalm 14: 1)

If we could become righteous by our power and actions…what would be the point of Christ?
The key is to remember that we are all sinners and that Jesus calls us just as we are.  Daring to believe this truth changes our perspective.  Accepting this revelation changes our way to view one another.  But it is only by the Holy Spirit that we understand it.  That’s why the secular world can’t see it.  That’s why the world judges Christians as hypocrites.  The world sees us as self-righteous without realizing that our righteousness is found in Christ not in self.  That is why when a high profile Christian stumbles and falls in his/her walk, the secular media is very quick to use the instance to smear and to try to destroy the validity of Christian principles by presenting them as intolerant, old-fashion, hypocritical or plainly unattainable. 

The world doesn’t understand that Christians don’t see themselves as sinless. 
The world doesn’t understand that we know we are sinners just like everyone else…
The world doesn’t understand that we realize the difference is that we rely on the saving Grace of God who sent His son to die for our sins, wash us clean and redeem us for His glory. 
The world doesn’t understand that it is not about us…that it’s all about Christ. 
The world doesn’t understand that we continue to struggle for de Devil wants to see us fail so he keeps pocking us and pushing our buttons. 
The world doesn’t understand that life is a daily walk toward Jesus and that nobody on this side of Heaven has made it to the end yet. 

The world doesn’t understand that our hearts are, indeed, “prone to wander and prone to leave the God we love”…and that for that very reason, Jesus goodness, like a fetter, needs to bind our wandering hearts to Thee…”  He is the One who seals us so we, one day, may enjoy thy courts above.

The world doesn’t understand that we, as Christians do understand all these.  And the misunderstanding is in part caused by our current society’s big push against all things Christian.  Therefore, the world doesn’t know hymns like “Come thou fount of every blessing.”  If songs that explain the truth (traditional or contemporary) were on the secular radio, school plays, summer concerts or people’s MP3 players as often as songs that glamorize sin, the world would have a better idea of what Christianity really is all about.


Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 
1 Timothy 1: 15-16




Tune my heart to sing thy grace
Streams of mercy never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
I'll praise the mount I'm fixed upon it
Mount of thy redeeming love

Here I raise my Ebenezer
Hither by thy help I come
And I hope by thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home

Jesus sought me when a stranger   
Wondering from the fold of God
He, to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood

O to grace how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee
Prone to wander Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for thy courts

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.