Thursday, June 4, 2015

Opportunities to Trust Him

A Robin's nest built right on my front door's wreath...God provides!

A few days ago I found myself having to spend the night at a strange city after my flight home was cancelled due to bad weather. Since the cancellation was outside of the airline’s control (or so they claimed) the hundreds of stranded passengers had to fend for themselves in hopes of finding food and shelter for the day/night until we could board the flights on which they had rescheduled us.

Of course I was not happy with the situation. I was frustrated with the lack of customer service. I was hungry and tired. I was angry at the airline for not taking good care of its passengers. I was extremely nervous about the fact that I was on standby for a flight next day. I was running out of money…and most of all, I felt alone and a bit panicky at the prospect of having to spend the night sitting on the cold and dirty tile floor of the airport.

Fast forward 21 hours later and I’m finally in my seat on board of the plane that finally brought me home. That’s the moment when I could really appreciate God’s faithfulness through the entire ordeal. Wherever the airline did not take care of me, God did. He provided a comfortable hotel room with a free shuttle to the airport for me to stay which I shared with this really nice Canadian lady who also needed a place to stay. It was a double blessing because…1. We split the bill at the end, and 2. She wasn’t an ax murderer! Also, He made the little money I had left stretch so I could eat during my stay…mainly by keeping hunger at bay. And best of all, after a series of further delays, switches and changes I was able to get on the flight I was on standby.

There were many tense moments during the hours before I finally landed on familiar soil…but now I can see the whole thing as another opportunity to trust in Him. He knows I have trust issues, so He uses many experiences to help me practice what it is like to put my faith in Him. I remember now, the moment I was sitting at the gate, waiting to hear if I would get on that plane, I decided I was going to trust Him…I did…just like that…I said, “I’m going to trust God.” And peace did come to my heart. I was still a bit fidgety, but I had a knowing sense that my name would get on that screen with a check next to it indicating I had a seat. And at the end it did!

I’m not being simplistic here. The journey to fully trusting God is not a fairy tale. It is a rather long and arduous up-hill climb that can only be achieved by the Power of the Living God in us. But, what I am saying is that The Lord does reward us with the peace that transcends all understanding once we place our complete trust in His promise. I am saying that I need to keep His Word tucked into my heart so it can be the lamp that guides my feet…so it can come to me in my hour of need.

24 hours later, I was turning the key to start my little/faithful Honda Civic which I had left parked at the airport about 6 days ago (yes, I still have to insert a key in the ignition of my car…it is that old). One more hour and I was home…letting out a deep sigh of relief. Jesus promises us that Our Heavenly Father takes care of every one of His creatures…from the smallest to the closest to Him…so it’s about time I begin to take Him at His Word, and trust.

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? Matthew 6: 25-27

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.