Thursday, January 5, 2017

A Woman Named Martha Opens the Door


As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. Luke 10: 38

I love the words in this verse.  They serve as the opening to Martha and Mary’s story.  When I read them, I feel as if I’m crossing the threshold into their home.  But before that, let me just linger outside for a bit longer, as I take in the scene… 

“…a woman named Martha…”

I love that phrase.  Not the daughter of a certain Father; not the sister of a beloved brother…no…a woman, all of her own…with her own name: Martha. 

The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out…“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me..” (John 10: 2-3, 14)

He knows us by name, because He gave us our name.  And as He calls us, we recognize His voice because we belong to Him…and we open the door … and He enters: “opened her home to Him.” 
We may say whatever we’d like about Martha, but she opened that door for Jesus!  She was the one who actually took it upon herself to physically open that door.  She was the one who stood there as He walked inside.  It is undeniable that she is a woman of action.  And her action brought up the greatest reward: Jesus coming into her house!

I’m not saying that our actions cause our salvation. Only the actions of Our Lord can achieve that.  But I believe that once Jesus calls us by our names and knocks at our doors, the next move is on us.  Our hearts need to surrender to Him and the doors must be opened by our hands as an act that demonstrates our surrender.


What a glorious day, the day we open the door.  May we be quick to obey the call, so as soon as we hear His voice calling out our names.  May we swiftly stand at the doorway, with the door wide open to welcome Him into our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.