Friday, January 20, 2017

What Does It Take to Make Mary's Choice?



Sigh…

In my imaginary visit to Martha and Mary’s house, I sit on the floor, staring at the rows of guests in front of me. I wrapped my arms around my knees as I survey the crowd. Nobody seems to have noticed what went on between the Lord and Martha. They all continue with their merry conversations, enjoying the refreshments that Martha is diligently providing. Then, my eyes fall on Mary…she doesn’t notice the trays of goodies that pass by her. She doesn’t notice the crowds. Of course, she doesn’t notice her sister’s frustration. She probably never noticed Martha complaining to Jesus about her. She made her choice to focus on only ONE thing at this moment. Her choice implies that the rest of the world can simply wait as she seeks the face of Christ…

The question that remains for me is: How does one make that choice?

The answer is simple, but extremely complicated: It takes the surrendering of the will.

Our wills have been at war with God’s since Adam and Eve. This war continues in our lives for as long as we walk on this earth. Ever since we are born, we want to do things our way, and that’s not about to change any time soon. It is a totally insane war, however, since there is no way we can win it unless we surrender.

Dissatisfaction, worry, frustration, fear and all those feelings of wanting and lacking are the daily battles we all fight as part of this war…we struggle and struggle until we have no strength left, and still get nowhere. We don’t understand why we search and search without ever finding what we are looking for.

I am guilty of all of that, and the main reason that my searching remains fruitless is because I lose track of what I truly need to seek. The only thing that will fill the whole in my soul is the One who created my soul. It is not until I start seeking Him with all my heart that I will finally find Him and feel the peace that passes all understanding covering me, making me truly free.

It’s like I read in my devotional: “When lesser goals capture your attention I fade into the background of your life. I am still there, watching and waiting, but you function as if you were alone. Actually, My Light shines on every situation you will ever face. Live radiantly by expanding your focus to include Me in all your moments. Let nothing dampen your search for Me.” (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young)

May the Holy Spirit grant us the ability to discern the need to seek Christ and the absolute necessity to surrender to God’s will with all our hearts so we can make the choice to put the whole world on hold as we sit by the feet of Our Lord.

Scriptures to review:  Psalm 27: 8; Philippians 4: 7; Jeremiah 29: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.