Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Redeeming the Times



Let’s consider Christ’s words to Martha one more time:

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10: 41-42

Jesus is definitively talking to Martha about choices. He is saying something like: you can choose to be worried and upset about the useless stuff of this world or you can choose to spend your time dwelling in the presence of the Lord. Look at your sister Mary. Even though you think she is a lazy bum, she has actually chosen wisely…and no temper tantrum or hissy fit from you would cause her to lose what she has rightfully chosen.

In other words, Martha, quit wasting your time and come with me!

Time is indeed the most precious possession we have in this world. It is finite. And here, in this passage, Jesus is calling us to redeem it!

Last night I was watching an old video Dan found, who knows where, and it was of Grant when he was about three and a half years old. Gosh…I could not hold back my tears as I watched that little angel walking around and talking with the sweetest voice I’ve ever heard. There was a moment in the video when I appear there, playing with him and eventually scooping him off the floor to cradle him, squeeze him and cover him with kisses. His little feet dangling in the air as we giggled…man, was that hard to watch.

My soul and heart became overflowing with a love so tender and intense I couldn’t stand it. Then, I looked at my son and realized that the tall, gangly, awkward teen standing behind me doesn’t have much left in him of that little cutie pie I held in my arms all those many years ago. Time has gone by so very quickly. It’s too much to bear. The only thing that keeps me sane is the thought and the prayer that I gave that boy my all. I don’t have any regrets because I believe that I redeemed my time with him when he was little and I trust that the Holy Spirit will give me the clarity to continue to give him my all for as long as I live…

It's the same with the Lord…I don’t want to have any regrets. I want to give Him my all, because He IS my all. He is the King of who I am. In the busyness of life, I don’t want to, one day, be watching the video of my history in this world and find out I wasted my time worrying and being upset about things that didn’t matter or that I couldn’t change…while Jesus was there, in the next room, waiting for me to hang out with Him.

Life is hard enough as it is…I pray the Holy Spirit helps us make it lighter by taken away the unnecessarily heavy burdens our minds trick us into carrying.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11: 28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.