Thursday, August 24, 2017

Summer Meditations: He Thinks of Me...



17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.

A while ago, the Holy Spirit led me to the discipline of offering my very first thoughts in the morning to My Lord. Rather than allowing my head to be inundated by the mundane thoughts of my day ahead, I try to hit the pause button for a few seconds and recite the words:

This is the day which the LORD has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118: 24

I also offer a few phrases of praise and thanksgiving, which I try to keep in my mind throughout the day.

This simple routine is minimal, I know, but it has helped me to gain perspective and balance in my mornings. Before, as soon as I would open my eyes or get the first awareness of the new day, my head would directly go to the troubles and tribulations that awaited me. I would start the day in such frantic manner, that by 8:00 a.m. I’d be ready to get back in bed for I was spent.

The funny thing is that, even though this small step toward the goal of permanently fixing my eyes on Christ seems easy enough, it is not. You have no idea how many mornings I have to re-shift my thoughts as I catch myself going to the world first, rather than offering praises to the Maker of the world for the gift of a new day.

Sigh…

Now, imagine my deep sense of conviction as I read verses 17 and 18 of Psalm 139… God thinks of me so often, that the task of counting his thoughts of me is unattainable … for the sum of His thoughts of me is so vast that it outnumbers the grains of sand in the sea. If anyone were to attempt to count them, they would not succeed! He thinks of us not only in the morning, but permanently, forever, at all times! Unfathomable!

Who am I that you would think of me, Lord?

I am humbled…deeply humbled by this realization.

And to think that I cannot even give you a proper “good morning,” sometimes…

That just proves, once again, what the Almighty, Himself tells us:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.” Isaiah 55: 8

Therefore, in my human frailty, I respond to You,

How precious to me are your thoughts, God!

How vast is the sum of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.