Monday, September 17, 2018

We Live by Faith!

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. Mark 11: 24

I love this verse!  It's so...bold!

It speaks of faith without limits.  It alludes to complete trust.  It illustrates the power of the Most High!  It implies that prayer gets answered even before we finish uttering it!

"Whatever you asked for, believe that you have received it!"  

WOW!  To pray with such force!

So many times I feel like I'm limiting God.  How ridiculous is that?  Why would I do that?  Is it because I'm trying to not be disappointed?  

I don't know.  I supposed it's gotta be something like that.  Otherwise, how would I explain the fact that I am expressing such timid prayers?  Our God is an Extravagant God!  I mean, what is more extravagant that the kind of love God shows to us?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. John 3: 16-17

Why would I then think that such an extravagant God could not handle big and out of the ordinary type of prayers?

Because I am one of the "ye of little faith" that Matthew talks about in chapter 8, verse 26th.

It's kind of funny.  Tonight at class, I was talking to my students about the importance of faith and how it affects every aspect of a person's life.  We were talking within the context of an old Afro-Caribbean legend that deals with slaves being the recipients of a miracle performed by this African goddess.  The legend ends telling us that this goddess sort of disappeared after performing that one miracle.  The people of the region, however, continued to believe in her.  I asked my students why did the people kept on believing in her even though she disappeared while the cruelty of the slave trade continued?  One student said:  "because she didn't need to help them all for them to believe."  

I was intrigued by that reply, so we explored it further.  And we concluded that the goddess didn't need to save all slaves for them to believe in her because they had faith.  And when you have faith, the impact of circumstances is diminished.  

How much more faith should we have in Our God then?  For He is the God who is All Powerful and Mighty!  He is Love and Infinite!  He is Ever Present!  And even though our circumstances might not seemingly change on this side of the world, we continue to have faith because our faith is not based on what we see.  Our faith is based on Who He Is!  And He doesn't have to fix it all up to fit our self-prescribed plan.  For what we are after is the treasure of His Presence, not the wealth and comfort of the material realm.

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. Mark 11: 24

I don't want to limit God anymore.  I claim His Victory in me!  I know He has already healed me.  I trust You, Lord.  I choose to live by faith, not by sight!  Praised be Your Holy Name!




No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.