Monday, December 14, 2020

Seeking to Stay in the Moment

 “Put the phone down, Mom!”  “Are you paying attention?” “Mom, you missed it!” It’s embarrassing to think of how many times I hear these expressions from my kids, especially from Dylan.  He is really bothered when I am not “in the moment.”  Like that song by Jeremy Camp…as a matter of fact, it was listening to that song on the radio a couple of days ago, what prompted me to think about this.

 

In the era of multi-tasking, when we take pride of doing many things at the same time, staying in the moment becomes a rather difficult proposition.  The thing with multi-tasking is, however, that, in reality, we are doing many things at the same time, but…how are we doing them? If you ask me, multi-tasking is the ability to be mediocre in multiple ways…

 

I want, that for whatever is left of this Christmas season, the Holy Spirit teaches me to stay in the moment…beginning with my time with the Lord.  I do not want to be in my “quiet time” with a mind cluttered with a to-do list or with worries about things I can’t control.  I want to seek His Presence by seeking a mono-tasking attitude:  the ability to stay focused on what is in front of me…and only on that.  Jesus is the primary focus of Christmas, so I want to keep this moment about Him.  I seek the ability to stay in Him and in all the blessings He has given me.  I want to seek the strength to say “no” to the other things that distract me from what’s really important.  I want to seek the resolve to put the phone down, the computer off and the demands of work on the background so I can allow the Holy Spirit to work in me and keep me in the moment…whatever that moment might be.  Like the inspired words of Jeremy Camp say, I want Him to

… keep me in the moment

Help me live with my eyes wide open

'Cause I don't wanna miss what you have for me…

 

In the Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.