Friday, February 17, 2012

Our Security is in Christ Alone!

Last night, I had to do the bedtime routine by myself since my husband Dan was at a meeting and he would come back passed the kids’ bedtime. Once the boys were in bed, I decided to do something mindless and watched some TV. Soon, the boys got quiet in their rooms and I assumed they’ve fallen asleep. After a while, I heard the door opening downstairs and it was Dan coming home. Out of the blue Grant, my 9-year old passed by behind me flying and ran down the stairs to greet Daddy. I had no clue he was awake. He gave Dan a big hug and then went back to his room. Shortly after, we checked and he was fast asleep. Hmmm…I wondered if he had been waiting for Daddy to come home to feel secure enough to sleep. I think so.

I know, personally, I need security. I think everyone does. Some people are more tolerant to risk than others, but in general, I believe we all need to have certain level of safety and security in our lives in order to thrive. When we feel that our security/safety is being threatened, we go on survival mode and stop growing. Safety and security become our priority, so we relegate all other pursuits to a secondary role. We turn into one-issue-minded people and the rest gets put aside.

It is understandable that we feel that security is a number one priority. After all, we are equipped with God-given instincts which help us avoid danger. Everyone needs the stability found in feeling safe. Could it be possible, however, that our desire for safety and security might lead us away from Christ?

I believe the answer is perhaps, yes. I believe that when we search for our security in places that are distant and removed from Christ, we are, indeed being taken away from the path that leads to Him. He is our source of security. He is the only one who can ultimately and definitively keep us safe. No one or nothing else can. Therefore, when we misplace our trust for security and safety in the hands of worldly things, we are doing nothing but creating idols upon which altars we will eventually, and maybe inadvertedly, some day bow down and worship. After all, no body can serve two masters, “Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.” (Matthew 6:24)

According to Gill’s Exposition Commentary, the word “money” in this passage is the word "mammon," a Syriac word that signifies money, wealth, riches, substance, and everything that comes under the name of worldly goods. Hebrews used the word to denote wealth, and also to imply confidence and trust in such wealth. Therefore, I believe what our Lord tells us in this passage is plain and simple, if we love the world, symbolized by money here, and put our trust and confidence in it rather than in Him, we would simply not be able to love Him. Our love would be torn from Him and squandered on worldly pursuits.

I don’t want my love to be wasted on the world. I want to love and honor and serve Christ above all. He is my master. I don’t want to be in bondage to anything or anyone else. He is the only one worthy of my worship. Worthy is the Lamb!

I believe the Lord wants our complete trust to be only on Him. He wants us to believe His promises given to us in the Bible and confidently proclaim without fear,

The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. 
What can mere mortals do to me? 
The LORD is with me; he is my helper. 
I look in triumph on my enemies. 

Psalm 118: 6,7 

Regardless of what the “enemies” of our soul and body may be, the Lord is with us, to whom then shall we fear? He promised that He will not let our feet slip. He who watches over us will not slumber nor sleep. The Lord will keep us from all harm. He will watch over our lives. (Psalm 121)

When I go back to the promises of the Bible, I realize that my job is to trust Him and let Him be God in my life. My job is to seek Him first and all the rest will be given to me as an added bonus. (Matthew 6:33)

Jesus comforts me and all of His beloved with His unwavering words, Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. 
(John 14:27)

As I recognize that Christ doesn’t “give us as the world gives,” I know that finding security in Him might not necessarily mean living the risk-free life of comfort that the world attempts to make us imagine as ideal. A life as a follower of Christ’s way usually mean a road paved with hardship and pain. But it is the road that leads to victory eternal.

I don’t want the temporary victories that this world may offer me. As a matter of fact, I don’t want to rely on anything this world has to offer. I look around to those who put their trust in worldly promises and all I see is a society in decay where life is not valued. I see a society that seeks instant gratification and pursuits pleasure at all cost. I see a society that has developed a sense of entitlement and a servile dependency that had turned free people into slaves. I see a society that has chosen to worship a different master. I choose to worship my Lord Jesus the Christ.

It may sound counter-intuitive to some; but for those who know our God, we remember what He says to us,

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, 
neither are your ways my ways,” 

declares the LORD. 

“As the heavens are higher than the earth, 
so are my ways higher than your ways 
and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55: 8-9 

As I think about my young son finding a sense of security and safety in the arms of His earthly Father, I too want to run to my Heavenly Father every time I feel the threats of life hanging over my head like an overcast Western Pennsylvania day. I want to run into His arms for it is only there that I will feel completely safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.