Monday, February 20, 2012

The Aroma of the Knowledge of Christ.

Is there anything better than the aroma, the fragrance, the scent, the smell of what we love? That’s the secret of the success of scented candles, I suppose. Some of my favorite aromas are lavender, the ocean, rain, movie theater pop corn, baked goods, Christmas trees, and the way my Mother used to smell after taking a shower (I know…strangely specific… : )

The sense of smell has the power of immediately transporting us to the original source of the aroma.  The same way a not so pleasant “smell” can turn our stomachs as the bad associations are triggered and rejection surfaces; aromas that we associate with something good, special, precious, and treasured to us trigger the immediate soothing of our soul, and we are pleased.

One of those sweet aromas that never fail to trigger the soothing of my soul is Yardley English Lavender. That’s the line of bath products that my Mother used all of her life. Even though I left my parent’s home some 25 years ago and my Mother has been gone for almost 12 of them; the scent of Yardley English Lavender brings me back to the days of my youth growing up in Panama under my sweet Mother’s gentle watch.

My Mother was a petite woman with a giant’s heart. I don’t know many people who come close to her kindness and gentleness of demeanor. Her generosity and compassion are still remembered by those who knew her. And the very mention of her name makes people smile. It is no wonder that the aroma that reminds me of her brings me to a place of rest, of contentment and tranquility.

Thinking about how a set of scented bath products makes me feel good inside and is pleasing to my soul reminds me of the Scripture that says how Christians are a pleasing aroma to God. 2 Corinthians 2: 14-15 says,


But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.

What a beautiful image. Christians carry with them the knowledge of Christ as we become the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. That knowledge of Christ goes with us wherever we go and as a lovely aroma, those around us should be able to perceive it. When we fulfill our God-given mission to “spread the aroma of the knowledge of Christ everywhere,” God Almighty is pleased with us.

Christ, “loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” (Ephesians 5: 2) Christ lives in us. Therefore, His fragrant offering continues to be lifted up straight to the Throne of God each and every day, particularly when we not only share that fragrant offering with Him, but we spread it around to all who surround us.

I close my eyes and imagine our Father in heaven, taking a deep breath to inhale the aroma of His beloved down here on earth. I picture Him smiling in delight each time one of His children intentionally pursues to spread the aroma of the knowledge of Christ around. We are the treasured children of God, and we are capable of triggering satisfaction in our Heavenly Father as He takes in the aroma that we exude thanks to the person of our Lord Jesus Christ and His perfect sacrifice on the cross.

The way a set of scented bath products sets my heart at ease and pleases my soul is but a faint reminder of how we too are to become that fragrant offering thanks to our Lord Jesus Christ. As such, that offering is to ascend to the Holy nostrils of our Most High God as a pleasing and living sacrifice to His throne.

Perhaps one day, I would get to embrace my Mom again, and who knows, but I might even breathe in that old-fashioned Yardley English Lavender fragrance up in heaven once again.





No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.