Saturday, February 11, 2012

When the World Hates Us



"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you."      John 15:18-19

I had a mild encounter with the reality of this statement made by our Lord Jesus to His disciples 2000 years ago. I dared to state that the only way to recognize, see and know the truth is to know Jesus who is the Truth. (John 14:6) I added that only those who listen to His voice know and stand on the side of the truth and that’s why so many seem lost and confused. (John 18:37) That’s why what is so clear and evident to those who know Christ is hidden to those who abide by the dictates of the world. I expressed these views in a secular media which I thought was “safe”, and the whole thing blew up on my face. I was rebuked by standing on Biblical truth.

I felt a combination of fear and anger that made my hands shake and sweat; but the Holy Spirit quickly came to my rescue by bringing this passage to the front of my mind. I realized, or remembered rather, how I am to expect this type of reactions when people outside of the church are confronted with statements about Jesus.

There is so much power in His name that even non-believers recognize it. In the book of Acts chapter 4: 1-12, Peter and John were talking to the crowds after healing a crippled beggar in the name of Jesus, and Jewish priest and temple guards seized them and put them in jail because their actions, teaching and proclamations were all done in the name of Jesus. The Jewish leaders were “greatly disturbed” says Scripture. The mention of His Great Name had the power of greatly disturbing these unbelieving members of the Jewish hierarchy; so much so that they gathered the rulers, elders, and teachers of the law the next day to interrogate Peter and John. “By what power or what name did you do this?” They asked the disciples. To this, Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit said to them, “It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead…” (Acts 4:10)

The power of His name made the Jewish leaders so afraid that they commanded Peter and John not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John gave one of the most important replies for Christians all around the world back 2000 years ago as well as today in the 21st century, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.” (Acts 4:19)

That is the key to our desire to speak about Christ. We cannot help it. We cannot make ourselves be quiet about what we have seen and heard and experienced in our own lives. The reason we want to share Christ and the truth with others is because we are commanded to love them, and we want the world to recognize the greatest love of all, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."  (John 3:16)

However, I should not be surprised when the world rejects my desire to weave all situations into the fabric of the Kingdom of God. I do not belong to the world. He chose me out of it, and now the world hates me too. Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear from you! Let me know what you think.